This kinda looks like a scam what do you think?

Scott Bryant

• Premium Member
I really want to get this camera but it looks like a scam. What do you guys think? My instincts tell me it is but i can't be sure. Any advice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eclair-NPR-16mm-Film-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi,

The seller does not usually sell camera gear! LOL

What else bothers you?

Stephen

Send a message to his ebay account and see if he responds. The only strange part is he's been selling those photo cd's on a very consistent basis since January, now all of a sudden after May 1 there's nothing. At the same time, that could indicate someone hasn't hacked his account since it was in use by him so recently. Always proceed with caution though. Maybe ask to see some stills from what he says he shot 8 months ago.

Didn't ring any of my immediate eBay alarm bells... (24hr auctions, requesting to be contacted via direct email rather then through ebay etc...)

I suggest as always that you ask many many specific questions and get him to take photos of particular parts - make up a reason if need be ;)

• 2 weeks later...
OK cool, i've asked to see a close up of the gate and also asked about shipping and specifics about the motor so i guess we'll see what he says. Thanks for the advice again

I see the auction has ended, but for future reference if unsure, check to see where he is located and tell him you're gonna be in his town and can you come by and have a look or could you pick it up and pay cash in person. See what type of response you get.

Roy

this advice from a guy who bought a Konvas from Kiev, Ukraine and wired the guy money directly to his bank.

I see the auction has ended, but for future reference if unsure, check to see where he is located and tell him you're gonna be in his town and can you come by and have a look or could you pick it up and pay cash in person. See what type of response you get.

Sounds a good idea, but dont throw up a red flag if someone turns down you offer to come by and look. If I was selling such and item and people were emailing and asking to come look at it, I myselft would turn them down.

1. I don't want strangers in my house or knowing where the equipment is kept. I put an ad for a motorcycle for sale in a paper one time. A "potential buyer" came by and "looked" at it once. He later came back, broke into my garage and stole it. Never again will I tell someone where I live when selling anything to the public.

2. I don't want to waste time driving around and meeting non-buying tire kickers.

A simple request for pictures is acceptable

Didn't ring any of my immediate eBay alarm bells... (24hr auctions, requesting to be contacted via direct email rather then through ebay etc...)

I suggest as always that you ask many many specific questions and get him to take photos of particular parts - make up a reason if need be ;)

Hey what is that a GIF of in your icon?

Roy

this advice from a guy who bought a Konvas from Kiev, Ukraine and wired the guy money directly to his bank.

Hey, if the cam is from the Ukrane I'd say the same thing.

It is lovely in the Ukrane this time of year....