xh-a1 or hvx200 or v1 for real cinematic look?

Hi all

I was just reading all the different prospects and I got no clue which camera would be the best for :blink: shooting a movie in cinematic look, as they run all 24p.

Which one would be the best choice from all the 3 mentionned ?

Thanks for your help

hmm, its difficult,s icne all three camera's have their benefits. Obviously HD 24p would be the best, HOWEVER, 24p is not the only thing that allows for the cinematic look. It definitely helps, but it'll never look quite like film. the frame reate is the same speed that film uses, but it still ahs that digital look to it. If i had to choose I'd go for the V1.

Ok i personally own the XH-A1 so my opinion could seem like it pushes that direction, but I have used the HVX200 and it is definatly a quality camera, but I am not a fan of the tapeless recording medium there just seem to be to many problems. I do however think that the HVX200 has slightly better picture quality than the cannon, the XH-A1 just has a bit of a flat image but it still does look very nice. To me it came down to price, because people will tell you to go hvx200 because you dont need tapes, and you can go right to a hardrive, but take into the consideration that the Xh-a1 can also record to a hardrive. For me i got the Xh-A1 for about two thousand dollars cheaper than the Hvx200, and I have had no problems at all I strogly beleive for me it was a great buy. As for the V1 i have heard good things but never used it myself. If you are purchacing a camera, my opinion is to go with the cannon then spend the money you saved on a nice tripod, but if you are renting for a project you should consider the Hvx200 because of it image quality and they would probably rent for the same price. When it comes to a film look from the Xh-a1, I would say it gets as close to the real deal as some much more expensive cameras, i diddnt check the hvx200's 24p mode but i heard it is slightly superior to the cannon, and V1

when I was looking to buy it seemed not to many people had used the Xh-a1 so it was hard to find some reviews, so i would recomend doing what i did and renting it for a few days test it and see if it fits in with what you need it for.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by grahamstanly

I have the hvx 200. Settings to manipulate/fine tune the image are impressive but I much prefer the quality of the Canon lenses.

Heres some side by side clips comparing the XH-A1 and the HVX200

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79138

Hi Tim

I don't understand your comment so well, you are saying you prefer the quality of the canon lens but when I click to your link I see only a quite flat image of the xh-a1 compare to the hvx200. On this comparisation the hvx200 has much clearer image quality..

Ok i personally own the XH-A1 so my opinion could seem like it pushes that direction, but I have used the HVX200 and it is definatly a quality camera, but I am not a fan of the tapeless recording medium there just seem to be to many problems. I do however think that the HVX200 has slightly better picture quality than the cannon, the XH-A1 just has a bit of a flat image but it still does look very nice. To me it came down to price, because people will tell you to go hvx200 because you dont need tapes, and you can go right to a hardrive, but take into the consideration that the Xh-a1 can also record to a hardrive. For me i got the Xh-A1 for about two thousand dollars cheaper than the Hvx200, and I have had no problems at all I strogly beleive for me it was a great buy. As for the V1 i have heard good things but never used it myself. If you are purchacing a camera, my opinion is to go with the cannon then spend the money you saved on a nice tripod, but if you are renting for a project you should consider the Hvx200 because of it image quality and they would probably rent for the same price. When it comes to a film look from the Xh-a1, I would say it gets as close to the real deal as some much more expensive cameras, i diddnt check the hvx200's 24p mode but i heard it is slightly superior to the cannon, and V1

when I was looking to buy it seemed not to many people had used the Xh-a1 so it was hard to find some reviews, so i would recomend doing what i did and renting it for a few days test it and see if it fits in with what you need it for.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi Grahamstanely

thanks for your reply.

Yeah after I did some research I think the a1 is good enough for doing filmouts.

check this link, it's not too bad and it's done with an xh-a1 with an M2 ...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=96955