HiLite for Sunlight

• Premium Member

It?s a light diffusion that reminds me a lot of a shower curtain. I have never used it in a large overhead before, but I have used it, per the suggestion of Dave Devlin to lightly diffuse several large florescent fixtures.

It does a nice job of blending the separate tubes. It?s a nice material.

It?s a light diffusion that reminds me a lot of a shower curtain. I have never used it in a large overhead before, but I have used it, per the suggestion of Dave Devlin to lightly diffuse several large florescent fixtures.

It does a nice job of blending the separate tubes. It?s a nice material.

Would there be any appreciable difference between using HiLite and some other type of light diffusion such as a frost? I'm guessing the quality he was talking about is that it keeps the general look of direct sunlight with some subtle softening and contrast reduction.

Hilite has a rubber type quality to it so it is silent when working outdoors. If its windy it wont make a peep, which is important. I've heard its one of the lightest diffusions. I haven't worked a lot with rosco gels, so I cant speak on soft frost, or any clear diffusions (just haven't had experience with them), but I've always considered it as the outdoor opal.

• Premium Member
I've always considered it as the outdoor opal.

That's a pretty good analogy. One of the best features about it is that it doesn't cut the incident light too much, so you don't end up with an extreme difference in exposure between subject and background in direct sunlight.

I am a huge fan of Hi Lite and use it on a regular basis. It is a soft vinyl like material so it is quiet in the wind. It is water proof so it is a great rain cover and because it is soft it quiets the rain. The best part it is it?s light diffusing quality. It diffuses harsh sunlight with out reducing the stop as much as other materials. When using Hi Lite your cast doesn?t look like they are standing in the shade of a building when covered. I often use it with a quarter grid to cut the light intensity down.

It diffuses harsh sunlight with out reducing the stop as much as other materials. When using Hi Lite your cast doesn?t look like they are standing in the shade of a building when covered. I often use it with a quarter grid to cut the light intensity down.

Good. I might be shooting something later this year where I want to preserve the harsh look of the sun but just pretty it up a tad. I'll do some experimenting with it and I'll try out your +1/4 grid idea. Can I ask what other situations you've used HiLite in and why?

Jimmy