Bono xfer

adam berk

• Premium Member

I've used them. They basically do a one-light on those HD transfers and expect you to do the color correction which is easier since you get an uncompressed file. These are HUGE files so you need a maxed out machine if you expect to edit with them. I transcoded it down to DVCPRO HD to actually do the cutting.

If you really need the full 1920x1080 24P and aren't concerned about color they will be fine. I'd suggest having a company like Flying Spot Film Transfer in Seattle do it; even though their output is 1440x1080 from their Shadow, it will look 10x better due to their colorists. And the costs should be around the same, maybe a little more.

• Premium Member
How about sharpness? The tests I saw in CML looked like they were shot in the seventies, the lack of sharpness was really noticeable.

This is what I was mostly concerned with when I asked this question. Uncompressed HD color correction is my day job, so a one-light, low-con scan is exactly what I look for in an HD xfer. What worries me is what I saw at CML. I've since sent a question or two to Bono, and both times was responded to with offensive attitude. I think I'll take my business elsewhere.