K3 Load Problem (vid)

Dan Liffick

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get my K3 up and running. The problem that I'm facing is I'm missing the film guide and often the film will not run properly threw my K3. Since I'm extremely new to film I thought I would make a DV of what I'm doing. Can someone please give me some pointers? Am I doing this correctly? Thanks again for all your help.

My 'How Do' video

I can't embed.. sorry.

You aren't forming loops. There are some photos of a K3 being loaded at http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/16m...film-manual.htm , thought that one has the film guides, just make the film loops (the part of the film that runs around the guides) about the size they are in the photo.

It also looks like your using 2r (2 perf) film, and you have the film coming off the reel in the wrong place, it should follow the arrow painted on the bottom of the film chamber.

Edited by Eric Dinger

I unlatch the spring pins that set those guide rails... then i pull the triggler a little to let it run through.. then form the loops.. forgot the # of sprockets above and below.. just follow the diagram. I had to sortof of push the film so it catches on the sprockets.. anyhow run it until the sprockets are correctly running into the holels and then put the plate back on and run it

It's old VNF left over from when I did high-speed cine for the military. High-speed kit is all double-perf. Single-perf would tear at 200mph.

But there hasn't been a double sprocket in an ordinary 16mm. camera for decades, so I'm told. The K3 has a single row of teeth and will take single-perf just fine.