which 500 high speed would fit VIVID 160

I want to shoot a student feature on the 160 Vivid, which is a bit more contrasty

than the "normal" new stocks from what I know!

I will mostly use it for all the outside stuff. This will be about 70 % of the whole project!

I'm planning to even bleach bypass it in the positive. I hope the contrast will not be too high,

but anyway even the curve of the 160 is not that steep!

...I'm still waiting for the lab to do my testing the copy! ...as you know, if you don’t have

money you have to wait till someone else comes along with the same special processing!

What I wanted to ask if someone knows a high-speed stock that could match the 160!

I need some 500 for interiors and some dusk shots!

...I heard that the Fuji 500 D could be good, but I don’t know that stock by myself!

2. Question: When I do the bleach bypass in the positive, do I really have to

underexpose the negative for about 2/3 of a stop? I somehow feel bad with underexposing it;

I would rather bring it down a bit with the printing lights when making the copy and

be a bit careful with the contrast ratio during the shoot!

What do you think!

Thank you very much!

• Premium Member

You only underexpose (by a one stop usually) when doing the bleach-bypass to the NEGATIVE, to counteract the increase in density that results from leaving the silver in. Otherwise your printer lights can hit the 50 top mark in some colors.

You don't underexpose when doing it to the positive (print stock or I.P.).

There is no other stocks that match Fuji Vivid's 160T's contrast. I'd almost go with Fuji Eterna 250T pushed one-stop to get an effective 500T with more contrast. Otherwise, if all you want is a faster Fuji film, use Eterna 500T instead of Reala 500D. It's less grainy for one thing.

You only underexpose (by a one stop usually) when doing the bleach-bypass to the NEGATIVE, to counteract the increase in density that results from leaving the silver in. Otherwise your printer lights can hit the 50 top mark in some colors.

You don't underexpose when doing it to the positive (print stock or I.P.).

There is no other stocks that match Fuji Vivid's 160T's contrast. I'd almost go with Fuji Eterna 250T pushed one-stop to get an effective 500T with more contrast. Otherwise, if all you want is a faster Fuji film, use Eterna 500T instead of Reala 500D. It's less grainy for one thing.

Thanx!!! Right, I thought that also applies for positive, but that really makes no sense....

...anyway I more like to expose it properly so that’s good for me.

But, is it wrong, that the FUJI 500D has a bigger Contrast then for example the Eterna 500T?

I don’t think I want to push because of the grain, so I would rather take a real 500.

And the 500 Eterna will probably be less grainy than the much older 500D, right?

So 500 T than would fit more in terms of sharpness, but maybe the 500D in terms of Contrast!?

Anyway I don't think the contrast difference at the end will be so much, when I bleach bypass the copy!

And most 500 stuff will be inside (so it doesn’t have to be that much comparable to the outside shots) and just some will be blue hour (and that I don’t want to have that much of contrast).

Or what do you think?