Dark Reprieve New Trailer

Thanks Mark. As for:

"Her tone was exactly the same on both lines both lines having the inflection go up on the last words and sound the same."

She's a former Deal Or No Deal model, this is her first acting job. I hired her based on her other "abilities" than dramatic acting :D

For what it's worth, I coached and rehearsed her for several weeks before shooting. I video taped all of her performances and we analyzed each one. The improvements she made from the start to the final scene where really incredible.

Of course I know this means nothing to the end viewer, they either like the performance or they don't.

As for the other actors...they all worked well for me, for this genre, and budget level, they punched above their weight class. That's the most I could ask.

Lines that didn't work out, got the axe.

R,

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok forum buddies,

I have a new trailer for my feature Dark Reprieve:

http://homepage.mac.com/rboddington/DR_Tra...Theater110.html

I think it's much better than the first one some of you saw. This is still cut from my FCP time line and mixed in FCP.

You wanted more female bling ya got it! You wanted more scary stuff, ya got it!!

Any whoo, give this a try and let me know your thoughts if you're so inclined.

Crank those speakers.

R,

I only just got the download to work. After a windows Auto Update, hmmm.... Well anyway, now it's great.

The trailer looks good. I mean we don't really know what the film is about, but it gets your attention. Of course the 35mm film capture is superb, but you do realize that if you'd only had a RED, for the same money, crew, time and resources, you could have had the whole feature shot, edited and showing in theatres by now :rolleyes:

As for getting your photogenic lassie to speak proper, one trick that often works is to get her to breathe right out before speaking, so she's only got enough air to say the line. It really does make them sound more interesting. Or you can get someone to massage their feet while they're speaking. No I'm not kidding, it works. You want them to sound frightened? Sit them on a bag of ice!

I have a bit of a problem with this scene, because until I paused the frame and examined it, it wasn't really clear that it wasn't meant to be the wolf. (Of course, I'm only looking at a small picture)

thing_still.jpg

It looks too fake for my liking. You might like to try shooting it from odd angles, or reflecting it from a distorting surface to disguise its deficiencies. One good trick is to shoot it in extreme closeup with a cheap black and white video door minder camera with very wide-angle lens, and film off the monitor screen. You can even run the video through a VCR and feed it to a TV set via an antenna lead. By fiddling with the antenna cable you can make the picture drop in and out or go snowy, which enhances the fear factor.

"I have a bit of a problem with this scene, because until I paused the frame and examined it, it wasn't really clear that it wasn't meant to be the wolf. (Of course, I'm only looking at a small picture)"

That's odd....I've litterally had a dozen people watch that scene and say "wow that looks real!"

Oh well I was bound to run into some one who used the "fake" word at some stage :D

Of course you're a film guy, off the street viewers watch with different eyes and ears.

No it's not the wolf of course, there are multiple terrors lurking in the prison, the trailer shows a few of them. You should see the scene with Dick Cheney!

"As for getting your photogenic lassie to speak proper, one trick that often works is to get her to breathe right out before speaking, so she's only got enough air to say the line. It really does make them sound more interesting. Or you can get someone to massage their feet while they're speaking. No I'm not kidding, it works. You want them to sound frightened? Sit them on a bag of ice!"

All good suggestions, all months too late :D

R,

"I have a bit of a problem with this scene, because until I paused the frame and examined it, it wasn't really clear that it wasn't meant to be the wolf. (Of course, I'm only looking at a small picture)"

That's odd....I've litterally had a dozen people watch that scene and say "wow that looks real!"

Oh well I was bound to run into some one who used the "fake" word at some stage :D

Of course you're a film guy, off the street viewers watch with different eyes and ears.

No it's not the wolf of course, there are multiple terrors lurking in the prison, the trailer shows a few of them. You should see the scene with Dick Cheney!

"As for getting your photogenic lassie to speak proper, one trick that often works is to get her to breathe right out before speaking, so she's only got enough air to say the line. It really does make them sound more interesting. Or you can get someone to massage their feet while they're speaking. No I'm not kidding, it works. You want them to sound frightened? Sit them on a bag of ice!"

All good suggestions, all months too late :D

R,

I thought it was a great monster really ugly and nasty looking I think as monsters go it was excellent.

Some great tips from carl for others too! Notes being taken.

• Premium Member

Huh! I just got around to looking at your trailer, Richard. Loved it. Gosh, some pretty tough critics here! It looks like a lot of fun- it doesn't look like you're trying to shoot Lawrence of Arabia. I really couldn't get the criticisms- this is a "B" scary pic, right? So have fun already!

Good luck, it should do great with your target audience.

-Bruce

Huh! I just got around to looking at your trailer, Richard. Loved it. Gosh, some pretty tough critics here! It looks like a lot of fun- it doesn't look like you're trying to shoot Lawrence of Arabia. I really couldn't get the criticisms- this is a "B" scary pic, right? So have fun already!

Good luck, it should do great with your target audience.

-Bruce

Yeah you nailed it Bruce, straight to DVD, thrill a minute screw with your head rental. That's all.

The criticisms here have not been too bad at all, I appreciate all the feedback. There are many valid points that I accept. All filmmakers must go through this process.

BTW, I will be sending screeners in two months to a select group of forum members. You just earned a spot on the list Bruce!! I'll PM you for your address as we get closer :D

Thanks

R,

Some great tips from carl for others too! Notes being taken.

Talent wrangling is a bit of a specialty of mine I must admit, even though it's not really my job!

Maybe there should be a sub-forum created here specifically for nifty tricks that people have picked up over the years. I don't to start another argument with the disciples of a certain HD camera, but this very accumulation of years of figuring out time and money saving tricks, or learning them from other people, is what really keeps you employed. Producers like to surround themselves with people who they know all have own own little bag of tricks, because chances are that much greater that one of them is going to be able to quickly solve some unforseen problem, or at least know somebody who might be able to help.

I guess that's something a lot of newcomers don't really understand; within reason the producer doesn't really care overmuch how you get the job done, as long as you do. You could be a brainiac who really does know everything, or just a cute little social butterfly who knows the right numbers to phone :lol:

BTW, I will be sending screeners in two months to a select group of forum members. You just earned a spot on the list Bruce!! I'll PM you for your address as we get closer :D

And may I, Matthew Buick, add how thoroughly impressed I am with this up and coming box office smash. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's just what I want from a horror. I think it has inspired me to direct a horror film of my own.

Can't wait. :)

• Premium Member

It's a bit late for this critique, but I didn't like the headroom on the medium shots of the girl and the detective. I just generally dislike medium shots that give actors a haircut. Although this was a bit more than a haircut. At one point her eyebrows almost leave the top of frame. More headroom was needed in my opinion.

Other than that I thought it was good.

I've thought about that a few times my self Brad.

Oh well at least none of my test audiences have made any comments on that, DOPs, well I expect to hear that kind of feedback :D

It's not a horror film Matthew......mystery/thriller.

R,

• Premium Member
I've thought about that a few times my self Brad.

Oh well at least none of my test audiences have made any comments on that, DOPs, well I expect to hear that kind of feedback :D

R,

Yeah, I don't think most people are bothered by headroom issues very much, including many folks in the camera department. It's just a particular pet peeve of mine.

It's not a horror film Matthew......mystery/thriller.

Either way, it's inspired me to make a horror film. :P

There was a shot about mid way through of a girl sitting in a chair talking. I personally felt it looked a little like an interview, rather bland.

When will the premiere be?

There was a shot about mid way through of a girl sitting in a chair talking. I personally felt it looked a little like an interview, rather bland.

Pitty....you where this close to getting a free copy.

R,

Hi Richard,

As you shot 4 perf 35, you could retransfer those scenes to HDCAM SR.

Stephen

Yep, there is plenty of picture there to pull down. Again the magic of film over you know what.

At this stage I'll wait and see what the chorus says, right now I'm handing it off to post audio and saying go nuts.

R,

i like it very much

made me want to see the move

one thing i think you should think of (if you talk of over done)

is to use voice over i think it will add to the trailer

and also check the sound on my computer its sound with no bass and a Little distorted

i will give extra on the bass:)

good luck

Oh well, I just guess I'll have to hate Phil Rhodes' guts for ever and ever. <_<

Eh? What does that have to do with any thing?

R,

I guess that means you can advertise '12 out 13 filmmakers agree...the monster looks real!'

Eh? What does that have to do with any thing?

Absolutely nothing. I just felt spontaneous at that mmoent.

Ah, the warm, toasty glow of popularity.

Indeed, Phil. If every industry power (like yours truly) hates your guts you'll really get somewhere.

I didn't really mean it, Phil. You're one of the funniest people I know. :)

Edited by Matthew Buick

GOD I HATE QUICKTIME. Well, it SOUNDS cool. Do you have this in any other codec so I can actually see it? :wacko:

Good grief Steven this is the 21st Century, what are you trying to watch it with an abacus or Sony walkman? :D

Download QT7 from the Apple site, it's free.

Thanks for the feedback Tom.

I'm in the process now of yanking some shots and having it all scored. This because of "some people" on this board who whined and complained about it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it was good feedback, I can fix it!!

Tuesday my hours on this thing will drop by 90%, picture locked, auto assembly begins. I never thought this day would come.

R,