Head cleaning/maintenance

Neil Randall

We're six days from production now and I thought it prudent to ask about maintenance. We're shooting for four-and-a-half days, aiming to capture two hours of footage for a fifteen-minute film.

How often should we clean the heads (assuming the SDX comes to us clean)? Based on my audio engineering background, before use every day, but I'm not so sure with cams.

Either way, do I need the cassette or can I use the classic isopropynol/earbuds combo?

Any other care tips, send them this way too.

Thanks,

NR.

We're six days from production now and I thought it prudent to ask about maintenance. We're shooting for four-and-a-half days, aiming to capture two hours of footage for a fifteen-minute film.

How often should we clean the heads (assuming the SDX comes to us clean)? Based on my audio engineering background, before use every day, but I'm not so sure with cams.

Either way, do I need the cassette or can I use the classic isopropynol/earbuds combo?

Any other care tips, send them this way too.

Thanks,

NR.

If you do not know the history of the camera it is always safe to do a head cleaning before shooting. They do have a head cleaning cassette for that purpose. In your case I would doubt that you would need to clean again during a 4 day shoot.(It can be hard on the heads if over doen) Als the SDX has a built in headcleanind wheel that engages briefly during tape threading and I believe various intervals during recording.It eventually need to be replaced as well.

Edited by Scott Imler

If you do not know the history of the camera it is always safe to do a head cleaning before shooting. They do have a head cleaning cassette for that purpose. In your case I would doubt that you would need to clean again during a 4 day shoot.(It can be hard on the heads if over doen) Als the SDX has a built in headcleanind wheel that engages briefly during tape threading and I believe various intervals during recording.It eventually need to be replaced as well.

Cheers, mate.

From my audio-engineering days, it was always necessary to clean the tape heads with isoprop once a day but the hire co. has told me it'll be done before it goes out and that we should only need a lens and body cloth.

The built-in cleaner sounds like it's replaced the need for every-day cleaning. Gues we'll leave it alone!

Thanks again,

NR.