quieting an ebm

Brian Woods

query: has anyone ever quieted a bolex ebm enough to be used as a non-problematic sync-sound camera?

basically, i'm in a situation where i could invest money into buying a blimp or barney for my ebm and mag OR sell the entire thing and get an NPR or an aaton. what would you do?

i was just curious if anyone on here makes narrative sync-sound films with an ebm? how well does the barney suppress the sound?

• Premium Member

Brian,

Search the archives, this has been covered quite a number of times.

Simple answer, the EBM is not a sync sound camera. Tried numerous barneys and even tried to make a home made blimp for one years ago. Did not turn out well. It is just too noisy.

If you can sell the whole package and get an NPR or Aaton, and you want to make sync sound films, I would suggest going that direction. The EBM will always be a bad compromise for sync sound filming.

-Tim

i actually just shot a short with my EBM and I had remarkable turnout on this project.

as long as you are using boom mics and not some omni or super cardiod or anything,

you'll be amazed of the results.

my barney is the original barney made for EBM's. (guy at cameraspro.com makes them

by the way) and then I also lined the inside of that barney with rabbit fur...yes...

believe it or not...rabbit furs. so i tried it and its awesome!

there was a study done in germany years ago and they found that the best way to

dampen sound in such case as a film camera is the microfibral hairs and many thin

coats of rabbit fur worked 5 times better than any one large cotton filled, insulation stuffed,

downfeather, canvas lined,......whatever.

So....good boom mics + a barney from guy + 2 thin layers of rabbit furs = surprising results.

However, Tim is right about one thing...if you dont want to deal with this hassle....

NPR or Aaton is much quieter.

Edited by seth christian

so any type of animal fur?

i took a feather duvet on an ebm with mag, wrapped it once and the thing was almost totally quiet.i figured some mods to this idea just might work.

i actually just shot a short with my EBM and I had remarkable turnout on this project.

as long as you are using boom mics and not some omni or super cardiod or anything,

you'll be amazed of the results.

my barney is the original barney made for EBM's. (guy at cameraspro.com makes them

by the way) and then I also lined the inside of that barney with rabbit fur...yes...

believe it or not...rabbit furs. so i tried it and its awesome!

there was a study done in germany years ago and they found that the best way to

dampen sound in such case as a film camera is the microfibral hairs and many thin

coats of rabbit fur worked 5 times better than any one large cotton filled, insulation stuffed,

downfeather, canvas lined,......whatever.

So....good boom mics + a barney from guy + 2 thin layers of rabbit furs = surprising results.

However, Tim is right about one thing...if you dont want to deal with this hassle....

NPR or Aaton is much quieter.

i took a feather duvet on an ebm with mag, wrapped it once and the thing was almost totally quiet.i figured some mods to this idea just might work.

have you guys heard of strasonic foam? very good for sound isolation.

I dont know about any fur....i suppose anything in this nature is experimental...all i know is rabbit fur

was found to work the best for the german testing because its so fine (guy at cameraspro agreed that

a few layers of thin fur brings better results than one big fat piece) and the two benefits of using

rabbit anyway..is that its thin so you're not packing on too much bulk around your camera....and two,

rabbit fur is CHEAP!!!

I dont know about any fur....i suppose anything in this nature is experimental...all i know is rabbit fur

was found to work the best for the german testing because its so fine (guy at cameraspro agreed that

a few layers of thin fur brings better results than one big fat piece) and the two benefits of using

rabbit anyway..is that its thin so you're not packing on too much bulk around your camera....and two,

rabbit fur is CHEAP!!!

I am sure though that the rabbit does not see any benefit on it...

The strasonic foam was used on a blimp for a konvas (or maybe a kinor) on a forum. It's a foam specially made for acoustical isolation. I got a sheet and it seems a very good isolator.