Sekonic light meter

• Premium Member

Is there a big difference in the Sekonic L 558 light meter and it's "cine" version. I own the original one, is it worth upgrading now I am shooting film, are the extra features really helpful? thanks

• Premium Member

Hi Damien.

I have a L-608 cine now for about 3 years and i must say it's a decent piece of kit! I think the main differences are minimal though ( for the price i mean!) you get cine speeds from 1 to 750 f/s and 1000. You can also adjust the shutter angle it can be set in the range 5 to 270 degrees in 5 steps and 144 and 172 degrees. What i find particularly handy is the filter function, you can preset various colour correction and ND filters, 85, n3, n6, n9,etc. lets you work really fast. I couldn't say if it's worth the upgrade but it's an excellent meter.

Anyway i hope this helps.

Good luck with the shoot!

Kieran.

I've got the new L-758cine ...

yep shutter angles are really helpful and the filter factor stuff is nice also - but upgrading from a standard ... hmmm no I wouldn't bother - but if you are buying new, then yes get the cine versions

Not sure as I dont have the standard version to compare but I think the cine versions have more options in terms of cd/m2, FL, hyper-wimwhams, jammy-tartlets etc...

Afternoon,

I am very new to all this equipment, and am en route to purchasing my first meter.

I am looking at the 758C but not sure what the difference between the 758DR and the Cine is, if any?

I've heard the the former is made more for digital still photographers, but at $250 less and the opportunity to program digital references, I am interested.

I am currently in school, studying cinematography, working with everything from 16 to 35 to different HD cameras. I'd love to be able to encompass all of those formats within a meter.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Afternoon,

I am very new to all this equipment, and am en route to purchasing my first meter.

I am looking at the 758C but not sure what the difference between the 758DR and the Cine is, if any?

I've heard the the former is made more for digital still photographers, but at $250 less and the opportunity to program digital references, I am interested.

I am currently in school, studying cinematography, working with everything from 16 to 35 to different HD cameras. I'd love to be able to encompass all of those formats within a meter.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Well, dont get the DR - that has a radio flash slave transmitter thingy used for studio stills setups - if not the Cine you want the 'D'

The Cine has everything the D (and DR minus the transmitter) has and more (including the programming nonsense you wont need)...

Rather than me outline it all simply download the manual:

http://www.sekonic.com/upload/files/L-758_...ual_English.pdf

$250 more ? sheesh ! - I got my cine version for $468