Canon XL1s vs XL2

Mike Sauls

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I would like to ask you guys and gals a few questions about the XL1s vs XL2. Hope I don't rave to much. I'm in the process of starting a small business taping weddings, "how to" video's, documentaries. I have my first wedding this coming weekend. Cross your fingers. The dilemma that I am in is this. I needed another camera, I've had a GL2 for over a year, and decided to purchase a little higher end setup. I got my XL1s several days ago. After using it some, I have found that the picture is pretty good. Not a quantum leap above the GL2 but noticeably better in my humble option. I have noticed that there are some post on the internet about the performance of the XL2 and it sounds promising so far. I got a great deal on the XL1s and it has a 4 year warranty. I have 3 more weeks before I can return it for a refund. Not sure if the extra $2000 is worth the XL2. I did allot of research before the purchase and I was aware of the, not so good eye piece, auto zoom hunting some and not so great low light capabilities (maybe). The weight and balance is not a factor. I do not have any plans to send video to broadcast TV. I just want a good sold camera. Sometimes the picture that you are looking at on the TV is very subjective. I think allot of people just want the video from their camera to look better and talk themselves into it. To be honest, I have a Sony TRV 50 "a single ccd camera" and it looks great! Bottom line is, what does the final product "looks like". Is the 24p or 30p worth that extra cash. The ccd's are about the same in both camera's and they both require 100 lux for proper filming. Sure would like to see some of that video on my HD TV. Just looking for a "no holes barred" assessment from the pros. I'm prepared to send this one back and put down another 2 grand but I won't like it. If I knew that the video quality of the XL2 was so much better than the XL1s, then that extra money might be well spent. Over all, I'm happy with the XL1s but I might find out some serious problems or come up with something I haven't though off after the return period. That would be a bummer!! Thanks for any help.

Mike

• Premium Member

Take time and compare cameras in this category(mini-dv format) except

for Sony(dv,dvcam). I shoot weddings with a PD-170 and A DVTEC camera

shoulder brace. Some of these cameras might have a softer lens than others.

Actually there is not all that much of a difference except for some features

you may or may not need and the price. The XL's of course will use Canon

EOS lenses. Why don't you go to dealer showroom and try some different

cameras out? Decide which one you like,and which ones fit your pocket book.

If you choose DVX100A try manual lens out and zoom,make sure you like

the way the focus ring operates. Make sure you are happy with its focus!

Other than that not much of a problem with any of these cameras. I've seen

some damn nice looking wedding shots done with DVX100A. I shoot weddings

to finance my short feature films for direct to dvd. Good luck with finding right

camera for you! Happy Shooting!

Thanks for the reply. Don't really have a show room anywhere around me. I hear you loud and clear about trying new cameras out. It is a great idea. A few things that I'm thinking about. I've been a Canon user for a number of years and have allot of extra stuff that will work with the XL1s I just bought, mostly batteries. I'm a die-hard Canon fan. Also have still camera's, scanners, printers and just don't have any trouble with any of them. Since I have already made a purchase for a long term investment, spending 3-5 thousand is not out of the question. Anything over that is! Don't think I don't like the XL1s, cause I really do. Besides being a sold camera it also looks like a pro camera. Don't take that the wrong way, there are plenty a great camera's out there and, I know, you can't judge a book by it's cover, but I think you know what I mean. Just wondering about what the "real world" video looks like comparing it and the XL2. There are a few post starting to show up on the net and I'm sure I'll find something juicy in the near future. I'll keep picking around to see what I can find. Worst case scenario, I call Dell and have them send me the XL2. If I decide to keep it I won't have to pay for it until January. Try it out and compare the two camera's side by side. Thanks for the info, it sounded solid to me.

Mike

• Premium Member

Yeah the XL2 is worth the extra cash. You get a higher resolution with the 16:9 chip and the 24p is the only way to go. I've shot with an XL1s for about three years now: weddings, shorts, docs, and one feature. I've shot with a lot of cameras: Canons, Sonys, and High-Def Sonys. Anytime you can add to your resolution it's worth it. A co-worker of mine has the Panasonic that shoots 24p and the footage looks good. In case you're new to the XL1s and decide to keep it I'll give you some tips: think about replacing the standard 16x lens with either the 14x manual or the 16x manual/servo. The standard lens is kind-of crappy (poor focus and it's too soft). I have the 14x manual and love it. I'm not sure about the new 20x lens on the XL2 but read up on that- you might consider buying the body-only version. Also, the viewfinder kind of sucks on the XL1s. You'll need a good monitor- not a crappy lcd monitor, or the monochrome viewfinder. But whatever you decide STICK WITH CANON. They are the best. I've seen some crazily awesome XL1s footage. The camera's output will drop your jaw when you get used to using it.

Drew, thanks a bunch. Just the kind of info I'm looking for. I have already made a change. I should have the XL2 hear today or tomorrow. Can't tell right now because it's held up by the hurricane. I live just north of Gulfport about 30 miles and we had a near miss. Folks east of us are not so lucky. I agree with the Canon camera's. I have several and just think you can't go wrong. I agree with the XL1's lens. The video looks a little fuzzy to me. I have had it for almost a week and shot a bunch of side by side with the GL2. I like the GL2 footage better in most cases. I found that if you have good lighting that will help the XL1 and it will produce a nice picture. I have been playing around with the custom presets and found you can really get the picture out of whack real easy. I have my first wedding job starting Friday and I might have to video it with the XL1 not the 2. I won't have any special lighting and the camera will have the stock lens. I do have some tiffen lenses I can use. I'm scared that I haven't had enough experience with it so unless you can get me a magic bullet, I'll probably let the camera do most of the work with the exception of the focus. I'll probably shoot in Auto mode. Again, thanks for your reply. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Thanks a bunch, you can delete from your end. In my short time with the camera I have found that some of your setting are very close to mine, only you added a few things that I haven't thought about. All are great tips and it's obvious that you know what your talking about. It's funny that these custom settings are mostly geared to the fact that these camera's don't do good in low light. I have heard the the XL2 has better low light capabilities and it looks like mine will be hear this morning. I'll work with it as much as I can during the rehearsal tonight. You are right about working with a heavy camera. I have a bogen mono-pod that I have been using. We will see. Thanks for you invite with email. I'll post again, probably Sunday, after I've used it some. Thanks again for you help, it's invaluable.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

The XL2 just has higher performance and a few more features. It's just a better camera all-round, it just depends what your budget is.

Although weddings are fairly simple and an XL1s will give fantastic results. It might be worth just getting the XL1s, when talking cost anyway.

Thing is, the XL1s is quite large so it will impress. But it also looks good, which will also help.

Thanks for the reply. I just finished my first wedding and it went off without a hitch. Learned allot. Just sent my XL1s back for a refund and the XL2 came in the mail the same day, four days late thanks to Ivan! I have footage from the XL1s and I will have to say that the XL2, set up in the dummy mode, has better looking video than the XL1s. The low light is better with less grain. Haven't worked with it much but plan on doing so later in the week. I'll make a post hear on my findings. In the long run I do agree with you about buying within your budget. Thankfully I did get a chance to use the XL1s for a week so I got pretty familiar with it. The XL2 is a much better camera. Many buttons and dials have be reworked and moved. Obviously Canon has been listening to the people that have been using the camera for the last 5 years. I plan on doing weddings and other video's so I should be able to play for this within the next few jobs. I would rather try not to fill my pockets with profit right now, instead put that money back into top notch equipment. Then I'll have the right gear to do a professional job. Thanks for your reply.

m

• 1 month later...

If anyone could answer my doubts... it would be cool.

i'm kind of an amateur... i've been investigating about cameras... and there's just alot of stuff that i dont know... for example I didn't know about that CCd size... for example.

so the question is which camera is better... the XL2 or the PD170...

thanks.