How to mail film stock?

bragis chut

Anybody have a safe way to transport film stock? I have some stock that needs to get from LA to NY. I'd take it on the plane with me, but the way security is now, I'm fairly sure they'll make me x-ray it, which wouldn't be good. Hoping for some suggestions.

--Bragi

• Site Sponsor
Anybody have a safe way to transport film stock? I have some stock that needs to get from LA to NY. I'd take it on the plane with me, but the way security is now, I'm fairly sure they'll make me x-ray it, which wouldn't be good. Hoping for some suggestions.

--Bragi

We have good luck with Fedex and I know that they have special stickers for photo sensitive packages, overnight is best.

-Rob-

I've checked this out in great detail with all the major mailers, and received different answers, from what you see above, to "it's more suspicious if you say "do not Xray", so you'll be even more likely to be x-rayed".

However, the most consistent and only reassuring answer I got, was that FedEx does not Xray ground shipments.

So DO NOT send it overnight, that's more likely to be X-rayed.

(Obviously too late now for this shipment).

I also have bought lead-lined film shipping bags from my local photo store, just to be safe!

MP

Anybody have a safe way to transport film stock? I have some stock that needs to get from LA to NY. I'd take it on the plane with me, but the way security is now,

--Bragi

Airlines have no problem hand inspecting items that you ask them to.

Yes...in theory. The reality is that there are as many horror stories as not about airport hand inspections - sometimes from places that really should know better. If you have to do it, you have to, but I would always avoid taking undeveloped film on a plane if possible. (And word to the wise: in hand luggage - they will fog the hell out of everything checked.)