Canon 1014XL-S shutter angle problem

Maurizio Zappettini

I've just bought a Canon 1014XL-S. I've tried it yesterday. I noticed that if the camera is set at 24fps and the shutter angle to 150', the shutter starts to move continuously endless until I switch again to the 220' shutter angle, while if the camera is set at 24 fps and 220' everything is fine.

Then I found out that to use 24 fps and 150' I have to set 18fps when I turn on the camera, then set 150', and then set 24fps. In this cheating way 24fps and 150' work. Did anyone else have the same problem? Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Maurizio

• Premium Member

On a recent shoot I was shooting at 18 Frames per second, 150 degrees, and it appears that I got some flicker in the image, (fortunately it was the perfect effect for what we were shooting), but at 18 Frame per second and 220 degrees, there was no flicker.

At slow motion speed, I don't recall for sure what shutter speed I used but there was no flicker either.

That is a useful thing to be known. So do you think that when the endless noise of the moving shutter starts I could get some flickering if I shoot anyway?

I've to shoot a part of a music video in Super8 in two days, I was thinking to shoot at 24fps and 220 degrees to avoid any problem even if I'll shoot mostly outdoor/daylight...

Do you think with 220 degrees will I obtain a too much blurred image considering I'll shoot entirely handheld? Is it so radical the difference between 150 and 220 degrees?

Thanks,

Maurizio