I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the 16mm forum, but I think my newness and lack of knowledge makes this the right place...

I recently bought a Bell & Howell Filmo 70DR - my first cine camera. I ran a film through it, with indifferent results. A short excerpt can be found through the link below:

It seems that every other frame slipped as it was being exposed (apart from a very short burst where several frames ran OK). Also in the second part of the clip white patches can be seen across the centre of the frame - they are more obvious here, but they can be seen in other parts of the film as well.

Does anyone know what is causing either of these problems (or are they related?). Are they problems with the camera, or with the person behind the camera not having loaded it right (I'm kind of hoping its the later as the problem will be cheaper to fix...)?

Any help or thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks, Alan.

My guess would be that you loaded it wrong. Did you remember (or know) to put loops in the film between the sprockets and the gate?

I had some loops, but they weren't very big. I'll try another film with larger loops and see if that cures it.

Thanks, Alan

I had some loops, but they weren't very big. I'll try another film with larger loops and see if that cures it.

Thanks, Alan

I have a 70E, which I bought as a collector's item and only used once to see if it still worked. (The registration sucked, in case you're wondering). My memory is that the loops should fill the available space.