Bolex EL Power/Battery Interface Question

Mitsos Triantopoulos

Hi all,

I have a Bolex EL, and I am finding it a challenge to supply it with power.

At first, a friend of mine (who is an electrical engineer) created a battery for me. He took an inexpensive rectangular 12V battery and soldered two terminals. He also made a wire which attached to the two terminals of the battery on one side and to the camera on the other. Ok, this worked great. But, I left the battery unused for a long while and now it doesn't charge it anymore.

So, yesterday I went to B&H and I thought, what the heck, I ain't no EE, I'll spend $100 and buy one of the Bescor batteries with the XLR pin, the little belt case, the charger, etc. But, I forgot that the power interface of the Bolex EL, is not an XLR. So, my question is, what exactly is that interface called?

post-2778-1181663148_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of removing the XLR pin from the new battery I bought, and putting the one that my friend had used in the first 'homemade' battery, which fit the 4-pin interface on the camera. Any advice?

Is there some sort of attachment that transforms the interface on the camera to an XLR one, so I don't have to mess with the battery?

Thanks much for any help,

Mitsos

Hi all,

I have a Bolex EL, and I am finding it a challenge to supply it with power.

At first, a friend of mine (who is an electrical engineer) created a battery for me. He took an inexpensive rectangular 12V battery and soldered two terminals. He also made a wire which attached to the two terminals of the battery on one side and to the camera on the other. Ok, this worked great. But, I left the battery unused for a long while and now it doesn't charge it anymore.

So, yesterday I went to B&H and I thought, what the heck, I ain't no EE, I'll spend $100 and buy one of the Bescor batteries with the XLR pin, the little belt case, the charger, etc. But, I forgot that the power interface of the Bolex EL, is not an XLR. So, my question is, what exactly is that interface called?

post-2778-1181663148_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of removing the XLR pin from the new battery I bought, and putting the one that my friend had used in the first 'homemade' battery, which fit the 4-pin interface on the camera. Any advice?

Is there some sort of attachment that transforms the interface on the camera to an XLR one, so I don't have to mess with the battery?

Thanks much for any help,

Mitsos

The interface as you call it is a Tuchel or Binder plug which is common in Europe on camera's and sound equipment

Regards

Don

The interface as you call it is a Tuchel or Binder plug which is common in Europe on camera's and sound equipment

Tuchel - hmmm, yes, I knew that name... But I just thought that Tuchel had more than 4 pins.

So, are there Tuchel to XLR adaptors? Or batteries with Tuchel pins/plugs?

(back to Google ;) )

Tuchel - hmmm, yes, I knew that name... But I just thought that Tuchel had more than 4 pins.

So, are there Tuchel to XLR adaptors? Or batteries with Tuchel pins/plugs?

(back to Google ;) )

Even is there was such an adaptor they are always a bad idea because they become long and unweildy, they extra moment that the length creates can put too much strain on the plug and damage it... better is to get a female tuchel plug and directly connect it to the battery cable - no need to be an electrical engineer, but use of a soldering iron is required ...

The two pins on the right of the socket on the camera are +ve the other two -ve (dont ask why they used a four pin connector!) - do whatever you have to do to make it work (any further explanation here could get confusing or misleading with different uses of terminology e.g. what exactly is 'pin1'...)

• Premium Member
The two pins on the right of the socket on the camera are +ve the other two -ve (dont ask why they used a four pin connector!) - do whatever you have to do to make it work (any further explanation here could get confusing or misleading with different uses of terminology e.g. what exactly is 'pin1'...)

Maybe they used 4 wires to divide the really high amperage going through that connector ;). Or maybe they wanted to have it redundant. You find that layout a lot on older equipment. Maybe that's part of the reason why this stuff still works.

Cheers, Dave

Even is there was such an adaptor they are always a bad idea because they become long and unweildy, they extra moment that the length creates can put too much strain on the plug and damage it... better is to get a female tuchel plug and directly connect it to the battery cable - no need to be an electrical engineer, but use of a soldering iron is required

Boy, it took me quite a bit of searching on the internet to find these darn Tuchel thingamajiggies...

But I think I found an excellent source, so if another noob like me puts a search for the words Bolex, battery, pin, interface, power, wire, and Tuchel they can possibly be helped by this source: Mouser Electronics. The link goes to the catalog of Amphenol Tuchel connectors. (Amphenol=manufacter and Tuchel=type ?)

I think it is what is needed for the Bolex... :)

Boy, it took me quite a bit of searching on the internet to find these darn Tuchel thingamajiggies...

But I think I found an excellent source, so if another noob like me puts a search for the words Bolex, battery, pin, interface, power, wire, and Tuchel they can possibly be helped by this source: Mouser Electronics. The link goes to the catalog of Amphenol Tuchel connectors. (Amphenol=manufacter and Tuchel=type ?)

I think it is what is needed for the Bolex... :)

Hi Mitsos

They are the ones the one you want is the 4 way female (523 T 3301 001)

Don

Thank you Don!

I ordered that one last night, and I was 90% sure it was the right piece...

Now that I see your confirmation I am glad I paid a couple extra bucks to get by Friday :)

I gave up trying to work out this problem myself and bought a 12V battery pack, charger and cable w/Tuchel connector from Du-All Camera in NY. It was a little steep (around $300) but worth every penny.

They are the ones the one you want is the 4 way female (523 T 3301 001)

This one worked!

So for anyone else out there with the same problem in the future, here's my solution:

1. I bought a Bescor battery with an XLR pin from B&H. It doesn't have to be that model, but it needs to have the wire with the XLR pin (see step 3)

2. I ordered the Amphenol Tuchel 4-pin Connector (523 T 3301 001) from Mouser Electronics

3. I removed the XLR pin from the battery

4. With a lot of patience, a soldering iron, and some intuition, I installed the new Tuchel pin. The Tuchel connector has the four pins labeled "1" "2" "3" and "4" so it makes it a bit easier. Just remember 1 & 2 are negative and 3 & 4 are for the positive. Also, the Bescor battery's wires are labeled. I am sure a pro Electrical Engineer would look at my solder connections and laugh, but hey, it works!!

The nice thing about this particular Tuchel connector is that it screws on the Bolex EL and there is no fear of it falling off while shooting.

This one worked!

So for anyone else out there with the same problem in the future, here's my solution:

1. I bought a Bescor battery with an XLR pin from B&H. It doesn't have to be that model, but it needs to have the wire with the XLR pin (see step 3)

2. I ordered the Amphenol Tuchel 4-pin Connector (523 T 3301 001) from Mouser Electronics

4. With a lot of patience, a soldering iron, and some intuition, I installed the new Tuchel pin. The Tuchel connector has the four pins labeled "1" "2" "3" and "4" so it makes it a bit easier. Just remember 1 & 2 are negative and 3 & 4 are for the positive. Also, the Bescor battery's wires are labeled. I am sure a pro Electrical Engineer would look at my solder connections and laugh, but hey, it works!!

The nice thing about this particular Tuchel connector is that it screws on the Bolex EL and there is no fear of it falling off while shooting.

Hi Mitsos

Glad it worked keep practising the soldering it will get better get some heat shrink sleeving when you next make a lead to insulate the joints as its a bit tight in the Tuchel DIN plug

With the money you saved you can buy some film stock

Regards

Don

Thanks for this post.

I just got my Bolex EL from Ebay with two batteries that are long overdue for replacing. They each last for about 30 seconds after charging for a day.

I'm asuming this belt will work also... is that correct?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4717...ty_Starved.html

I'm guessing the AMP Hours dictates the amount of total juice the belt holds and 12v is what the camera will draw from the belt to operate.

Am I correct?

How long do Amp Hours last on a Bolex EL running the 400 mag as well?

Do you guys think it's better to have two belts, one for running/one as a backup just in case, or will a large belt last for days... Just looking for opinions

Thanks

Kip

Edited by Kip Kubin

I'm guessing the AMP Hours dictates the amount of total juice the belt holds and 12v is what the camera will draw from the belt to operate.

Am I correct?

How long do Amp Hours last on a Bolex EL running the 400 mag as well?

Do you guys think it's better to have two belts, one for running/one as a backup just in case, or will a large belt last for days... Just looking for opinions

Thanks

Kip

Hi Kip

The battery is a 20 AH which means you should if your camera draws 1 amp get 20 Hrs

2 amps 10 Hrs but in real life this is a bit less as you won't run it flat

Two batteries are good as you should always have a backup get a small sealed lead gel battery

Regards

Don

Yes, this one will do fine...

Just order the Tuchel connector from Mouser. You may want to get two of them, just to be safe, depending on how good you are with the soldering iron, or to have an extra for another battery or for the future.

I'm asuming this belt will work also... is that correct?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4717...ty_Starved.html

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

This one worked!

Thanks for the guide Mitsos!

I just want to add another note to Mitsos' instructions after doing this wiring project myself yesterday:

Most XLR 4-pin cables used for powering cameras (such as the ones 12v Bescor batteries come with) are wired with only two of the pins used: 1 and 4, for positive and negative/ground.

As Mitsos said, on the Bolex's Tuchel power interface, pins 1 and 2 are negative and 3 and 4 are positive. In order for the camera to function, all four pins need to be connected to your battery. So you have to split the positive and negative wires coming from the battery. So for the positive wire, half of the threads should be soldered to pin 3 on the Tuchel socket and half of them soldered to pin 4 (and the same deal for the negative wire).

Good luck to future Bolex EL owners!