Camera advice for fiance - NRP, ACL II, SR?

Jonathan Collins

• Premium Member
Thanks! I requested the serial number from the guy to try and see if I can find out the last time it was serviced and where.

Do you know roughly what the costs are to convert the aaton from 16 to super?

The serial number of the camera in the pictures is C 868, you can read it off one of the pictures. You might want to talk to Abel Cine Tech in New York or LA and they may be able to tell you when it was last serviced.

Something odd about that auction is that the description makes it sound like the seller is the person who owns the camera and has used it. But then when you look at the seller's other auctions, they are all for bedding and pillows and such. No other camera equipment. Just seems odd.

As far as converting the camera to Super 16, you could ask the folks at Abel about that when you talk with them about the serial number. Remember, you need to have the two mags converted also, and the better conversions flip the pass through roller and replace the pressure plates on the mags during the conversion.

-Tim

PS: I will send you a PM about some other things to take into account.

Hello Jonathan

I was looking for a camera a couple of months ago

And boy I had so many choices and I'm small to ( but strong)

The aaton is an excellent chice, and MItch Gross's pachage is great, and if this was going on a couple of months ago I will definitly consider, the problem , pointed by Tim Carroll, to overhaul this camera is a minimum of 2200, I said what!!!!????

So That camera is like a porsche, why buy a luxury when you need smoething that will get you from point a to point b, You don't need to buy a junker but a 2 door sedan will do the trick

So I got an old sport car of cameras and a Eclair NPR and LEs Bosher just finish converting it to Super 16 with the PL mount ,rods Matte Box and the whole thing: Final total expended 4900 US$

Now the camera is heavy and I liked like that but I think if you want a great proffesional tool for your fiance a modify Eclair ACL2 will do the trick and this camera is small and light and it will take you or anybody from point A to point B with no hassle,when she gets more money more clients more work, ergo, more money and cash flow she can get one of this luxuries cameras ( Arri , Aaton)

Why buy a luxury car if you can't afford it?

Best

Hi Jonathan,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not out of line when I ask you this, but since your fiancee is a cinematographer and this is a big purchase, maybe you should ask her what she wants. It sounds like you're wanting to surprise her - which I think is great - but she's the one that's going to be using the camera.

Just my 2 cents.

Allen

Here's a little backstory before we get to the heart of the question. I met my fiance in film school, she studied cinematography and I was focusing on producing. Graduated, moved from San Francisco down to Los Angeles. I got a job at a production company (staying somewhat in my area) but due to money problems, she wasn't able to stay in cinematography and has done more assisting/producing work. I know this has made her very sad, and it makes me sad.

So, it looks like i have a project coming through and she may be able to take some time off and I want to try and get her a camera to get her back on her feet.

At the moment, I'd like to get her a S16 Camera, but if I can't for cost reasons, I'll look at getting a camera that I know can be upgraded to S16 in the future. My budget is $5k, all in. What I'm looking for is the following:

1. Camera: S16 (Preferably) Sync Sound (This puts me looking at a NPR, Eclair II, or SR - other suggestions welcome)

2. Matte Box

3. Basic set of filters (ND, 85, 85A, etc)

4. Tripod

5. Handheld ability - She is a small girl, so ackwardness and weight of the camera can come into play.

My favorite camera from school was an aaton, but I think that that would be out of my price range. (Is it?)

Thanks for all the insights. It is greatly appreciated!

Hi Jonathan,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not out of line when I ask you this, but since your fiancee is a cinematographer and this is a big purchase, maybe you should ask her what she wants. It sounds like you're wanting to surprise her - which I think is great - but she's the one that's going to be using the camera.

Just my 2 cents.

Allen

Hi Allen,

One of the main reasons I can't even really bring up the topic, let alone let her pick a camera, is that we are currently saving up for our wedding right now and really not in the greatest spot financially. If I brought up a camera, she would shoot down the idea as a waste of money and then she'd say how she hasn't even touched a camera in 2 years, so what would be the point.

She is miserable doing what she is doing though, and I want to get her back into her field, so it kind of leaves me in a situation to surprise her.

I caan't even really talk about cameras as it isn't a normal topic for us and she'd figure somethign was up. (She's pretty swift.)

Luckily, the budget I've worked up doesn't give me too many extreme choices. I'm really leaning between an Aaton (if I can get a good deal when I have the money) or (more likely) I will probably push towards an ACL2.

Last, I've worked with her on set (doing AC work for her as my minor was cine) to know she's pretty open and flexible on cameras.

Thank you for the advice!

JC

THat's great Jonathan

I just got my Eclair NPR today, And I'm flying , I sound like a little girl

I think she will be really happy with the ACL, but if you get a good deal on an Aaton... a great deal, then and only then consider the Aaton, now, you should get definitly Super 16.

Best

THat's great Jonathan

I just got my Eclair NPR today, And I'm flying , I sound like a little girl

I think she will be really happy with the ACL, but if you get a good deal on an Aaton... a great deal, then and only then consider the Aaton, now, you should get definitly Super 16.

Best

Congrats!

I've really been looking at the NPR, but the things that concerns me is the weight. Since I want this to be a very flexible purchase, I think the lighter weight of the ACL will be a big advantage to her.

As for the Aaton, I love them dearly and If I could swing it, I would definitely go that route, but dollar for dollar it seems a little harder to rock it.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you wind up getting your NPR? I went to school up in San Francisco, but I now live down in LA.

JC

I got it for a member here at the forum, Alain, and the camera was regular 16 and I send it to Les Bosher in the UK to make Super 16 and to install a pl mount in the CA-1 position, plus rods and welll the camera is flying now it looks, it sound, and works just great, my friedn broutgh his Sr3 and we test it today and the NPR was pair to pair with the great SR3, LEs bosher kicks ass big time

Best