Blue "noise" on film

We recently got our film back from the lab, and while reviewing our telecine we noticed that in the darkest parts of the film there is noticeable blue "noise" along the right side of the frame. The blue only seems to be in the darker areas and does not look like a flash. It was shot on an SRII, and the mag has since been fully tested and the footage came back clean. The nose comes in cycles, and even when things were shot at 60fps it looked like the same cycle rate. We have asked a few people and some say it looks like the film was dished, but I had loaded and un-loaded and do not remember dishing it at all. Any ideas on what this is?

This picture is not the best example, ill try to get a better one up soon.

• Premium Member

It looks like static sparks to me. I did it once when a roll got very loose and I over tightened it so much that it "chattered." I could actually see the sparks since I was in a darkroom and not a tent. It looked about that shade of blue.

• Site Sponsor
It looks like static sparks to me. I did it once when a roll got very loose and I over tightened it so much that it "chattered." I could actually see the sparks since I was in a darkroom and not a tent. It looked about that shade of blue.

Thats a good guess it also might be a light pressure mark caused by any number of things including something in the mag or loading/bench handling.

-Rob-

Thanks for the replies! It could very well be from tightening the film, though I only tried to tighten it enough to pick up the slack, and again it is pretty consistent throughout the entire roll. Needless to say I am going to be much more careful about downloading next time. Another odd thing about this roll was that it was lost by DHL on its way to the lab. It was supposed to be sent to Seattle and ended up in Ohio when they found it. Again, thanks for the replies.

Bryant,

Nothing to add about the noise, except that is pretty odd looking. just wanted to say hey and that it is nice to see more MSU'ers on this forum. hope the summer is treating all of you guys back in bozeman we

• Premium Member

Bryant,

Did you only see this on the single roll?

I'd agree with this being caused by physical stress on the film, although it's pretty hard to guess at the cause.

I don't think you can rule out stress caused by thermal cycling as it wandered about on it's all expenses paid DHL odessy. ;)