Am I Mad????

Matthew Buick

Hello all.

I have decided to undergo a little experiment that I've wanted to do for a while. Here's my plan:

I am going to purchase a vintage (Nitrate) roll of Super XX photographic film, and then send it to pro8mm to be cut down and placed in a Super 8 cartridge. Then I'll make a VERY short film with it.

Making me the only person in history to posess a nitrate 8mm film.

Please send me a PM if you have any Super XX, it must be nitrate.

Best Regards - Matthew Buick. :)

Hello all.

I have decided to undergo a little experiment that I've wanted to do for a while. Here's my plan:

I am going to purchase a vintage (Nitrate) roll of Super XX photographic film, and then send it to pro8mm to be cut down and placed in a Super 8 cartridge. Then I'll make a VERY short film with it.

Making me the only person in history to posess a nitrate 8mm film.

Please send me a PM if you have any Super XX, it must be nitrate.

Best Regards - Matthew Buick. :)

TFFunny!

Oh yeah and I got a propane lighter you can use for stock inspection.

Yes you are mad.

Mad, Naaaaaagh, out of your freakin'mind, now THAT"S a possibility. look...Here's a little tip, finish shooting the s8 film you've been working on for a while now and see if you can make THAT look good on REGULAR s8 stock before you go off on some tangent. I'm still waiting to see this masterpiece of your's. You still got a LOT to learn about filmmaking, Bucko, and thinking about this kind of crap is just distracting you from your goal, to complete a film, then move on to the next one. Eyes on the prize, boy, dreaming about being a filmmaker is one thing, but making it happen takes hard work and commitment and YOU have to disapline yourself to do that and not be sidetracked by these flights of fancy! Set yourself a completion date on this short and make it happen, do that again and again, do good work, take your work seriously and THAT"S what's going to turn you into a filmmaker, not screwing around with grand illutions of shooting on some antiquated filmstock, that even IF you could find, probably wouldn't be in any condition to use anyway. Come on Matthew, time to start taking this seriously IF this is what you want to do with your life. Capish? ;)

• Premium Member

Its correct the volatility of the nitrate film makes it classed as flammable/hazardous cargo. I don?t think ground shippers will handle it and if you place it on an aircraft your libel for a $250K fine and some jail time.

Why don?t you get some super high-speed 35mm still neg to cut down. Eric Valli got some 3200asa stock from Eastman to shoot bird nest gatherers for Geographic a few years back - the images looked great.

HAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well. I've decided that Super XX simply isn't retro enough for my tastes. Does anyone know what Blair was offering circa. 1893?

Chuck, you idiot! Don't you know that nitrate is flammable?!?!? :angry:

Thanks for you support, everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that 65 year old film is the best ever. :)

Keep shooting nitrate.

• 2 weeks later...