Chris Doyle

David Mullen ASC

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for share this video very refreshing and simple, i like it see who his mind work, very refreshing, this guy definitively see beyond the obvious things... he have the power to project cinematography as a simple thing...

Hi David, That's great Vid. I have run into Chris over the years, and the work he does is instinctive, mainly from working and living in the orient. Most of us have so many toys and gadgets, we would be lost in the far east, to make do and still evolve a unique style and concept. There is no way to master instinct and that comes from doing and experience.

I worked with Miroslav Ondříček, and he also was from a communist county, where they less gear and gadgets to deal with. On a shoot in China, we had very little lighting gear on a documentary shoot. We showed up on location at a big rehearsal hall, where the Chinese house lights prompted him to say, "This is lighting for fish!". There was a Chinese TV crew there, but he immediately sized the situation and told me to turn the house lights off. The Chinese crew protested. He would go instead with natural daylight coming in from the windows. He told me to take every small portable lights i had (A few tota lights and a redheads), throw some blue gel on it and augment the daylight from the outside window. We shot wide open, and the stuff looked great.

Working in a third world country locations require improvisation. Chris is a master at that.

I saw this link over at RedUser.Com, an interesting video following Chris Doyle around:

Here is another little clip with Doyle. I think his point about accumulating experiences in your life before you really get into producing art is an interesting one.

• Premium Member
Here is an interview I read a few days ago.

http://www.greencine.com/article?action=vi...p;articleID=168

Chris Doyle is a pretty interested guy. The behind the scenes doc on Lady In the Water has some pretty funny scenes with Chris running around.

Cheers,

Matt

He is a VERY interesting guy. I'm a bit intrigued by him because my style is very much like his sometimes but we are complete polar opposites as far as personality.

Here is an interview I read a few days ago.

http://www.greencine.com/article?action=vi...p;articleID=168

Chris Doyle is a pretty interested guy. The behind the scenes doc on Lady In the Water has some pretty funny scenes with Chris running around.

Cheers,

Matt

That is like the greatest interview I have ever read. :lol:

Thanks!

Based off of this interview, I watched Last Life in the Universe last night. It was very beautifully shot by Chris Doyle. It's a quiet, meditative picture with a lot of heart. Kind of interesting that it has Japanese characters in Thailand with a white Hong Kong/Chinese DP.

Basically, at this point, I'll watch anything Doyle shoots, because I know I am going to learn something.

Edited by Tom Lowe

Hi,

Very interesting! Can anyone tell me what that 'cushion' was around his waist when he was shooting 'The Quiet American'.

Was that a cushion held in place with just a belt or was it a bean bag? Any info would be really helpful as I might try and use that in the next thing I shoot.

Thanks!

Guest Giles Sherwood
Hi,

Very interesting! Can anyone tell me what that 'cushion' was around his waist when he was shooting 'The Quiet American'.

Was that a cushion held in place with just a belt or was it a bean bag? Any info would be really helpful as I might try and use that in the next thing I shoot.

Thanks!

It was probably a cushion... a beanbag seems too droopy and potentially heavy to be of use like that... in one interview (maybe the AC article on Lady in the Water?) he refers to the setup as a "Buddha bag."

Edited by Giles Sherwood

• Premium Member
It was probably a cushion... a beanbag seems too droopy and potentially heavy to be of use like that... in one interview (maybe the AC article on Lady in the Water?) he refers to the setup as a "Buddha bag."

Cushions can be bouncy, a bad quality for something meant to absorb shock.

I've seen some beanbags made for little kids that would be ideal. They're filled with little bitty styrofoam pellets so they're very light. I bet you could attach straps and it'd work great.

Edited by Chris Keth

Guest Giles Sherwood

Yeah, I thought of styrofoam right after I posted it... the reason I'm pretty sure it's not a beanbag though is cause it holds its shape too well. It really looks to me like an oddly ornate pillow.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I thought of styrofoam right after I posted it... the reason I'm pretty sure it's not a beanbag though is cause it holds its shape too well. It really looks to me like an oddly ornate pillow.

Wonder if you could just gather the cover of the beanbag and tape it so it's tighter...?

• Premium Member
Adam, I bet you TWO dollars it's from someone else's couch :P

While I don't disagree with you, Giles, my bet is on it being from someone else's couch that he acquired because he vomited all over it, making it his couch.