My first 35mm shoot

Just completed my first 35mm commercial, I usualy shoot video so it was interesting to work on film.

The commercial was shot for our showreel as both myself and the director had wanted for sometime to shoot a car ad.

Hope you like it

http://www.hdcrew.co.uk/bmw

Nick,

This is really nice work. There's a nice progression from more interesting/abstract framings into movement and finally great wide/vista shots. I also loved the color palette (more desaturated/bleached out tones) and the subtle use of grad filters. Really nice stuff. I'd hire you.

Best,

Adam

Nick,

This is really nice work. There's a nice progression from more interesting/abstract framings into movement and finally great wide/vista shots. I also loved the color palette (more desaturated/bleached out tones) and the subtle use of grad filters. Really nice stuff. I'd hire you.

Best,

Adam

Nick,

One other note about the piece, I think you could have filled in the actor a little bit during the car interior. He gets lost a little bit in shadow because the contrast ratio is so dramatic between the exterior and the interior in the car. Maybe you can tweak it a little bit with a little more color correction. But again, really strong work.

Best,

Adam

Thanks Adam, I wanted to use some light on the car interior but the shot was sprung on me at the last minute and I'd had to fly all the kit out to Spain for the 2 day shoot.

I think that with hindsight the stock would have allowed me to open up a touch on that shot but my extensively video background was shouting no!, I guess it will come with experience.

Regards

Nick

• Premium Member

Some nice shots here Nick, I thought some of the dolly shots were a little loose though, some shots seemed to bounce around a little. Were they off a dolly or a mini jib?

But over all well done.

Yeh Glenn, the dolly was just a simple ladder dolly, I've been told that it may be able to be stabilised although looking back at the edit you can see some big speed variations in the tracking shots.

Regards

Nick

post-12084-1182288455_thumb.jpg

Hey! good job, this looks good! My only point beside the points made, which I agree with, is that you should have pushed your footage a little more color-wise in the transfert, it looks too straight for a bmw commercial. Car commercial have a more edgy look, the base is there, you just needed to create a stronger, more actual look and that could have all been done in transfert.

Funny, I walked along that road the last time I was in Spain, I shot a bunch of photos there, near San Jose in Almeria county, I even slept in that windmill one night!

C

• 1 month later...

Hope we can help you nexst time you are in Spain. we coordinate with many Service Companies TV Ads, specially BMW last year actually.

Greetings

Eddy Winding

Sunflower Film

Just completed my first 35mm commercial, I usualy shoot video so it was interesting to work on film.

The commercial was shot for our showreel as both myself and the director had wanted for sometime to shoot a car ad.

Hope you like it

http://www.hdcrew.co.uk/bmw