Black Light

Hey Guys,

I have a music video coming up pretty soon where the director was interested in a black light scene.

Where is a good place to rent movie quality black lights in NYC. I think theater companies stock smaller ones.

What kind of flourescent paint should production design use?

Anyone with first hand experience with this I'd love to hear your input.

Thanks,

Matt

PS: I'm going to google search for a few hours

I semi-feel like a jackass for responding to my own question but here is what I've found:

- Altman makes a 400w Blacklight Fresnel and a 400w Blacklight Floodlight.

- There are also 48" Blacklight flourescent tubes

I've never worked with black light and we don't really have the budget/time to test. I'm trying to get:

1x Altman Blacklight Fresnel

2x Altman Blacklight Floodlights

8x 48" Blacklight Flourescent tubes

I'll have a regular tungsten kit to boost this up if I'm not getting the exposure I need.

I'm still searching for a bigger theater/event or movie rental house in NYC who rents these types of lights and price quote. I have a feeling they might be two to three times as expensive as their tungsten counterparts.

Still very interested to hear other's opinions and experiences.

Cheers,

Matt

How does blacklight show up on a light meter anyways? I suppose you really have to take spot readings of the bright "dayglo" colors you'll be using.

For some reason it just seems the fluorescents & floods would work best. You'll want a pretty even spread of the black light that'll effect a larger area. And the fresnels might give a more spotty look to things.

My FAVORITE use of blacklight, at about 1:55 in:

It has been like ten years since I used them but I seem to recall a company called Wildfire or a light called Wildfire that was a large Black light light fixture.

You can get them at a theatrical house. I forget what the name of the company is called now but Production Arts bought Bash and I think they merged with another company. They are in Moonachie NJ just outside of the city.

Best

Tim