Fisheye for Music Video

Stephen Whitehead

Hey, I am shooting a music vid, and right now my lens package is the zeiss highspeeds ranging from 18mm, to 85mm. I want to add a Fisheye lens to the package. I am thinking a 14mm Ultraprime. Any suggestions on a lens I should get? I want to get that classic barrel distortion sort of look. You know... when you set the steadicam up in low mode, run the camera at 75fps, and have some dude break dancing :-) nice... Anyway... what do you guys think?

Steve

• 2 months later...
Any suggestions on a lens I should get? I want to get that classic barrel distortion sort of look.

Steve

You won't get all that much barreling with a 14mm UP, it's pretty rectilinear.

Look for something like the Peleng R8 8mm - it's proper fisheye on 35mm stills but won't give you a circular fisheye view on motion picture as you use a smaller imaging area. There are some of these converted to PL mount.

http://www.longvalleyequip.com/lens.php

HTH,

Kim Sargenius

cinematorapher

sydney

• Premium Member
You know... when you set the steadicam up in low mode, run the camera at 75fps, and have some dude break dancing :-) nice... Anyway... what do you guys think?

Steve

I think it's been done to death. Every single R&B and rap video in the late nineties had this shot for half the video. Why bring it back? It was so overused then, and it's not that great. Just my personal opinion....

I've often had a laugh with other steadicam operators who have done this shot so many times they can do it in their sleep. There were even a few pieces of steadicam gear manufactured for this exact shot.

• Premium Member
I think it's been done to death. Every single R&B and rap video in the late nineties had this shot for half the video. Why bring it back? It was so overused then, and it's not that great. Just my personal opinion....

I've often had a laugh with other steadicam operators who have done this shot so many times they can do it in their sleep. There were even a few pieces of steadicam gear manufactured for this exact shot.

i agree... like totally enough with the ultra wide angle already! its a really lazy way of saying 'look how whacky i see this world' and bores me senseless.