Ultra 16mm

peter moore

Hi.

I am new here and this my first post. Can anyone give me the name of a lab to do

an optical blow-up from ultra 16 to 35mm, and or a facility to do a DI for me?

thanking you all for a great site...

Peter.

• Premium Member
Hi.

I am new here and this my first post. Can anyone give me the name of a lab to do

an optical blow-up from ultra 16 to 35mm, and or a facility to do a DI for me?

thanking you all for a great site...

Peter.

Hi Peter,

There aren't any, thats the problem.

Stephen

• Premium Member

We're working with a Va lab and are finalizing machine work on a transfer w/scanning to enable Ultra 16 DI. Don't want to push too hard on the lab, but they're getting clost to liftoff.

I'll happily relate any good news as soon as it happens. I have a line of cameras waiting with nervous excitement.

Bernie

Guest Ian Marks
We're working with a Va lab and are finalizing machine work on a transfer w/scanning to enable Ultra 16 DI. Don't want to push too hard on the lab, but they're getting clost to liftoff.

I'll happily relate any good news as soon as it happens. I have a line of cameras waiting with nervous excitement.

Bernie

That is good news, Bernie. If only a few facilities around the country started dealing with Ultra 16, we'd probably see a lot of non-Super-16 capable cameras (Beaulieus, Scoopics, etc.) being modified to Ultra 16.

gawd, what you spraying that crap round here for !

I was enjoying the crickets !

So um, yeh anyway seriously now, now that we might have a transfer facility is it possible to convert a RED to ultra16 also?

Bernie

Hi Bernie

Can you tell me what lenses will be needed for this Ultra 16 and will it cover camera's like Beaulieu R16 which they say can not be converted to S16 due to mirror shutter.

Regards

Don

Ex Sammies 1972/82

[it will cover the full range of "normal" 16mm lenses. You're not recentering the lens axis by the 0ne mm required in S16. The gg will need to be remarked a little wider on both sides.

Bernie

Hi Bernie

Sounds interesting keep us all posted on future developments, hope your move is smooth.

Regards

Don

• Site Sponsor
I refused to get sucked into it again. I don't see much value in it but if others do then go ahead.

Here is the opinion from another irish film lab guy <_<

We had been hearing about Ultra16 like everyone else but I have not had more than 2 or 3 people inquire about the process in the last 2 years, and we run allot of 16mm it's really our bread and butter.

Processing Ultra16 is not a problem and bench handling is no problem either if you use Super16 handling techniques, i.e. tight winds, etc.

I have a STD 16mm gate for our rank suites (BTW Suite #2 is getting a DaVinci888 right now) and I have a plan to machine the skid plate to Ultra16 dimensions so we can safely run it on our Telecines and extract keycode, etc. with our Aaton Keylink systems.

I am looking at several scanners and I am sure the one I like will be able to scan Ultra16 to 2K.

To me it would not be so much work to support and I would like to support it like I would like to support 2perf 35mm it's just a matter of when some would show up. I will re visit the modification to one of our gates as it is a fairly simple mod for our CnC machine shop to do.

-Rob-

My point in Ultra 16 is to ask those people that started the whole trend and rummors = Arri

I have seen their new lenses and I was really exited for it , but , why start and invest with something like that if you don't have a complete workflow

I might be wrong about this, please feel free to correct me

Best

• Site Sponsor
My point in Ultra 16 is to ask those people that started the whole trend and rummors = Arri

I have seen their new lenses and I was really exited for it , but , why start and invest with something like that if you don't have a complete workflow

Best

I do not see why Arri would care about Ultra16 when they are selling the super nice 416 I would think that they would not consider it to be a "proper" or professional format and I can not see them supporting it with the Arriscan.

I think Ultra16 is a possible way for low budget film people to sort of breathe new life into STD16 cameras and that is about it.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Best

Martin,

Sometimes your English gets in the way. :-) Big smile my friend.

ARRI's Ultra 16 set of prime lenses has absolutely nothing to to with the Ultra 16 the folks are talking about on this thread. (I did give some of the folks I know at ARRI a hard time when they first introduced the lenses though, because of the name they chose. I could not believe how many of them had not heard of Ultra 16 (the one this thread is referring to)).

The Ultra 16 this thread is referring to is taking a regular 16mm camera and filing out both sides of the gate to get a wider ratio picture. Something I think is basically insane, but hey, if you own the camera you can do anything you want to it. Folks keep trying to say that it is as good as Super 16, or that it can make older cameras better able to shoot 16x9. I say hogwash. Use Kodak 7217, (Vision2 200T), frame for 16x9 on the ground glass, and shoot your movie. It ain't rocket science. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's my 2 cents worth. Let the flaming begin.

-Tim

Hahaha, I know we where talking about that Ultra 16 Tim, Thanks anyway, For some reason the closeness of the name with Arri new lenses it really confuse me

Thanks for the clarifications, and Tim I will postiong some pictures soon about my new Baby

Best

Martin,

The Ultra 16 this thread is referring to is taking a regular 16mm camera and filing out both sides of the gate to get a wider ratio picture. Something I think is basically insane, but hey, if you own the camera you can do anything you want to it. Folks keep trying to say that it is as good as Super 16, or that it can make older cameras better able to shoot 16x9. I say hogwash. Use Kodak 7217, (Vision2 200T), frame for 16x9 on the ground glass, and shoot your movie. It ain't rocket science. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Tim

-- Tim, just to clarify something probably obvious, but are you suggesting camera owners simply frame for an Ultra 16 output, to be done in the lab, rather than modifying their cameras?

thanks

G

Edited by Grainy

• Premium Member
Martin,

Sometimes your English gets in the way. :-) Big smile my friend.

ARRI's Ultra 16 set of prime lenses has absolutely nothing to to with the Ultra 16 the folks are talking about on this thread. (I did give some of the folks I know at ARRI a hard time when they first introduced the lenses though, because of the name they chose. I could not believe how many of them had not heard of Ultra 16 (the one this thread is referring to)).

That's my 2 cents worth. Let the flaming begin.

-Tim

Why do you think it's insane? What you say about just framing for 16x9 and shooting makes sense but

is there any advantage to be had with this Ultra 16 approach?

• Premium Member
-- Tim, just to clarify something probably obvious, but are you suggesting camera owners simply frame for an Ultra 16 output, to be done in the lab, rather than modifying their cameras?

thanks

G

There is no such thing as "an Ultra 16 output". Ultra 16 does not exist in any universe except the imaginations of people who spend way too much time worrying about their camera equipment and not enough time worrying about important things like lighting, acting, script, etc. It is not going to benefit you one bit to file the gate out in your camera, or pay some "technician" to file the gate out in your camera. All you will succeed in doing is screwing up your camera and decreasing it's resale value. If you want to shoot film with a regular 16 camera, and you want to frame for 16x9 and transfer to HD or a DI for blow up to 35mm, you simply shoot on a slower (finer grained) stock and frame for 16x9. As demonstrated by this whole page of 16x9 video clips shot with a regular 16 camera. The clips are large Quicktime files, so let them load to view them.

16x9 film clips shot with a regular 16 camera!

ClipOld.jpg

Why do you think it's insane? What you say about just framing for 16x9 and shooting makes sense but

is there any advantage to be had with this Ultra 16 approach?

There is an advantage to the person you are going to pay to file out your gate. Otherwise, no.

This subject has been beaten to DEATH again and again and again and again and again and again . . . Search the archives and you will find hours of entertaining reading on this subject. ENJOY!

-Tim

PS: I am now going to take Mitch Gross's advice and end my contributions to this idiotic topic. Have a great day folks.

Guest Ian Marks

16x9 film clips shot with a regular 16 camera!

What clips? Everything I click on is no-show. Pretty grainless, though...

Seriously, I don't think Ultra 16 is as ridiculous as some suggest. It's a fairly benign modification to the gate that need not interfere with the ordinary, regular 16mm operation of the camera, and it does offer more real estate. And if shooting regular 16mm with a fine grain film is good, than shooting Ultra 16 with the same fine grain film is going to be better. Would I rather shoot Super 16? You bet.

And that's my last contribution to this thread.