Hard Candy

Hi everyone, I am working on a video project. the director wants some shutter, his reference is a scene in Hard Candy where the girl storms through some drawers, looking for something, there is a lot of camera movement, and the image is very very choppy. But it looks like 24fps, so I am thinking it is plain shutter angle, something bellow 45 degrees... Anyone has seen the movie and can confirmed my thoughts on the matter?? Or do you have films in mind that used a shutter angle bellow 45 degrees??

Thanks a lot!

C

• Premium Member
Hi everyone, I am working on a video project. the director wants some shutter, his reference is a scene in Hard Candy where the girl storms through some drawers, looking for something, there is a lot of camera movement, and the image is very very choppy. But it looks like 24fps, so I am thinking it is plain shutter angle, something bellow 45 degrees... Anyone has seen the movie and can confirmed my thoughts on the matter?? Or do you have films in mind that used a shutter angle bellow 45 degrees??

Thanks a lot!

C

If it's video why don't you just tinker with shutter settings until you're both happy?

ASC magazine (may 2005) have an article about Hard Candy, where the Dp Jo Willens say he use a 11 degree shutter angle..., gave to the image a crisp, sharp and made motion kinetic... I think what Chris say sounds logical, do some test until you obtain what you want; and you have to consider when you use a lot of shutter in video, you have to have a lot of light...

hope help you

• Premium Member

its an 11º shutter, its sort of one of the director's trademarks. you need an extra 4 stops, though, so plan for it. its definitely nothing to take lightly, especially on an interior - you'll be surprised at just how much light you have to pump in, and if you shoot high speed as well its worse. definitely use a photometrics table, and leave yourself a few extra footcandles, if you can afford to. its worth the trouble if you have the right subject, its an amazing look for a video. scroll down to find the videos called "feeing good" and "hypermusic" by the band muse:

http://www.microcuts.net/uk/videos

these are 2 videos i shot for david slade about 6 years ago - they were shot at the same time, on the same set, i'm sure you'll notice. it was all done at an 11º shutter, with the non-playback stuff often at 60-90 fps, on 5274 (200 asa)! and i think a lot of the playback was done at 50fps, with the track rolling double speed, and sounding like the chipmunks on speed. this was before the optimo or the hawk were widely available on that budget level, so we shot on a bunch of long lenses that were about an f4 wide open... he let me go to a 22º shutter for those. one good thing about those lenses was that they got me out from under the lights! man it was hot in there...

hope this helps and, plan well!

Hey Joe, really good work, love it!! Thanks a lot for the info guys!!! Fortunately, I am shooting this video outside, it broad daylight, so 11 degrees wont be a problem at all.

Thanks for the input.

Another question while we are talking about shutter angle, will extreme shutter angle such as 11 degrees induce flicker when using HMI on a magnetic ballast?? I imagien that a safety rule when doing stuff like this would be to always shoot flicker free... Also, should I worry when using a small genie (with an inverter) with flicker free lamps, such as kinos for example?

Thanks

C