Feature films shot with D20

Mike Brennan

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a list of feature films shot with the D20?

Can't find one on the Arri website.

Mike Brennan

'Captain Abu Raed' is a Jordanian feature film for writer/director Amin Matalqa. We just shot it over May/June on the D20, 4.4.4. DP is Reinhart Peschke, and operators are Randy Williamson and Imad Rechiche.

Nadine

• Premium Member
'Captain Abu Raed' is a Jordanian feature film for writer/director Amin Matalqa. We just shot it over May/June on the D20, 4.4.4. DP is Reinhart Peschke, and operators are Randy Williamson and Imad Rechiche.

Nadine

So, how did the D20 work out? How's the look? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We used it recently on three shooting days for "Krabat", a german Fantasy Film to be released late next year. The shoot was Blue Screen only, so shooting digital made a lot of sense ... ;) ... all in all, a very enjoyable experience!

We shot a feature with it called "Happy Days" in Feb - the movie is waiting on distribution | release.

Expanding past your question I have no real problems with the camera but I do have some issues with how it impacts set.

It was early days for ARRI GB with it - so maybe they have ironed out the issues since then but

• Handheld and steadicam mounting limitations
  • Not very portable - everything had to be tethered to dual SR1 decks - so now you need a bunch more technical people and power.
  • With all these cables, power, tech people and HD monitor issues it makes set-ups slower and less flexible - you really need to previs - so mounting a camera on a three way ladder to get a nice overhead can become a huge task as opposed to just moving the film camera up and giving the director a transvideo with a wireless
  • The tapes become just a big a worry as film dailies - we had one day where the guys at the post house called us to say a tape was damaged - after that "tape paranoia" set in. So even though we can see what we are getting - we still have to worry it doesn't get damaged by SR1's, transport or the post house. - and finding out who is to blame is pretty hard cause evryone blames someone else.
  • We still needed big Arri grip and lighting trucks all over the place - so you can't skimp on the lighting budget cause you are now on video (it is still cheaper to shoot 5218 pushed to 1000) - we had an external night scene by the Thames that came out too dark. - so loads of time in TK to try fix
  • Then there is the whole video village problem. Too many cooks. Someone once told me to always get the worst Video Assit you can since it stops Producers being able to fiddle since they cannot see what is going on. I now agree with that. So when I film on film stock I now try and get a NTSC black and white :ph34r:
  • We also had to have about three preview screenings (not cheap) to make sure the look we got in TK was the look we would get in the cinema

that is all I can think of now

thanks

Rolfe

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Brennan

are you "only" looking for a list of really big feature films or also short movies that were shot with the Arriflex D20?

Timo

• 1 month later...
are you "only" looking for a list of really big feature films or also short movies that were shot with the Arriflex D20?

Timo

I was talking to Allen Albert yesterday on the phone right after the DSC event about the D20. I remember him saying something about three or four features being shot with the D20. One is a feature film being shot in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
Were they shooting the Palio races?

Yes, it was the "palio unit", so to speak :D

The Palio happens only twice a year, so they had to get the footage on 16th August (or wait till July 2008, too late). 11 cameras were used, 6 35mm, 5 D20. It was a great experience, hard work but lots of fun. There were so many of us (pa's, assistant, ac's) and so much to do that I didn't get a chance to talk to Roberto, but I was very positively impressed by him.

At least one of the D20s was used to shoot plates to be used by VFX, but I'm pretty sure others were used just like their film counterparts, i.e. to capture live action footage of the race.

John, the Palio is a traditional horse race happening in the main square (Piazza del Campo) of the beautiful little town of Siena, Tuscany. Each of the 10 horses represents one of the city's contradas (neighborhoods), and it's the most important thing for people from Siena. It's pretty difficult to describe it to someone who hasn't seen it or hasn't been there.

Thank you Francesco for that , sorry for being so ignorant . john

You're welcome, John. I think that the new Bond movie will make the race a little more popular.

If you happen to be in Siena for the race, send me a message, if I'm not working I'm always there for the Palio.. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Brennan

Here are the entries containing d-20

1. "Afrika, mon amour" (2007) (mini)

Camera: Arriflex D-20

2. "Andromeda Strain, The" (2008) (mini)

3. "Company, The" (2007) (mini)

4. Bank Job, The (2008)

Camera: Arriflex D-20 (master format)

5. Captain Abu Raed (2008)

6. Corpse Bride (2005)

Camera: Arriflex D-20, Zeiss Ultra Prime Lenses

7. Embodied (2006)

8. Funeral Party, The (2007)