ARRI II C - Variable Speed Motor

Anthony Tether

Hello all. This is my first post although not my first time researching information about this camera. I was wondering if I would be better off with the aforementioned motor instead of the variable motor because I know with the Arriflex s/b , a constant speed is better because of issues of exposure, etc unless you are running a crystal synch...is the same true for the II C? Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

That's a good question. Though I have both, I can't give a definitive answer, but I do know that the two motors have different circuitry. The constant speed motor may have a bit tighter speed tolerance. However, I would still recommend against using it for dialogue.

Hello all. This is my first post although not my first time researching information about this camera. I was wondering if I would be better off with the aforementioned motor instead of the variable motor because I know with the Arriflex s/b , a constant speed is better because of issues of exposure, etc unless you are running a crystal synch...is the same true for the II C? Thanks in advance!

Hi Antony.

Running the camera with the variable speed motor at the end of ther there is some change at tthe frame speed so you have to make always a small correction. Running the constand is better in that way. That is something that always hapened to me running the variable speed motor. The better as you know is the crystal motor.

THANASIS DIAMANTOPOULOS

CINEMATOGRAPHER

ATHENS GREECE.

• Premium Member

The non-crystal constant speed motor is something of an antique. It's not practical for sync shooting unless you get the other antiques to go with it, cabled neopilot to an old Nagra. The variable will be fine for MOS at 24 and gives you a range of fast/slow motion. The crystal will let you shoot 24 MOS without bothering with the tach, and you can do some sync if you're outside in noisy conditions -- wireless on the actors, barney on the camera, long lens....

-- J.S.