Does anyone have experience with these lights?

I agree with Kevin. Larger Cinemills fresnels have been around for years.

However it is interesting to see that their filmgear line of lights looks like Arri products. Does Arri manufacture lights for other brands?

Best

Tim

I agree with Kevin. Larger Cinemills fresnels have been around for years.

However it is interesting to see that their filmgear line of lights looks like Arri products. Does Arri manufacture lights for other brands?

Best

Tim

I visited a factory here in China that seems to be making those products so, apparently not Arri's. Quality was excellent. The fluorescent models look somewhat like the coroplast Diva design and use both 2 foot and 4 foot T12 type tubes. There are some improvements though in the design like aluminum edge (as opposed to plastic) extrusions for protection of the corrugated plastic.

Not sure why someone would prefer the T12 tube today though. Most manufacturers are using the 55w CFL tube which has a much higher lumen per watt output and efficiency. Really, only Kino Flo is manufacturing a product which uses the T12 tube, practically every other manufacturer has chosen the more modern 55w tube. Even kino has 55w tube model products too like the diva 400. Why is this important? Well, if you want to be locked in buying Kino Flo tubes that's fine. It's particularly hard though to find tungsten colored (3200K) replacements in the T12 line especially if you use the 75w version which really is only a Kino product. 40w T12's are more common and can be found in daylight if that's what you need. You can find quality, high CRI 55w tubes in tungsten and daylight colors from practically every major lighting manufacturer like GE, Phillips, Osram, Sylvania and many many other small and large companies.

• Premium Member
I visited a factory here in China that seems to be making those products so, apparently not Arri's. Quality was excellent. The fluorescent models look somewhat like the coroplast Diva design and use both 2 foot and 4 foot T12 type tubes. There are some improvements though in the design like aluminum edge (as opposed to plastic) extrusions for protection of the corrugated plastic.

Not sure why someone would prefer the T12 tube today though. Most manufacturers are using the 55w CFL tube which has a much higher lumen per watt output and efficiency. Really, only Kino Flo is manufacturing a product which uses the T12 tube, practically every other manufacturer has chosen the more modern 55w tube. Even kino has 55w tube model products too like the diva 400. Why is this important? Well, if you want to be locked in buying Kino Flo tubes that's fine. It's particularly hard though to find tungsten colored (3200K) replacements in the T12 line especially if you use the 75w version which really is only a Kino product. 40w T12's are more common and can be found in daylight if that's what you need. You can find quality, high CRI 55w tubes in tungsten and daylight colors from practically every major lighting manufacturer like GE, Phillips, Osram, Sylvania and many many other small and large companies.

Thanks for that. What would be your choice for a portable fluorescent then? I've only used Kinos and Videscence and I definately like Kinos better.

Thanks for that. What would be your choice for a portable fluorescent then? I've only used Kinos and Videscence and I definately like Kinos better.

Here's the first question I would ask (especially of anyone on this site). Will you be shooting with film? If not, (if shooting with video) then your choices are many. If yes (with film), then perhaps Kino really is the best way to go.

Just don't choose the 40w / 75w tube fixtures. The 55w tube is best solution from which ever manufacturer you choose. That way you're not locked into a situation with few choices. Also, its not always the case that the Kino magenta coating is necessary for film use but it can be necessary though. High CRI alone may be enough to get you out of the woods. Some high CRI solutions exist from GE, Osram, Phillip, even my own Cool Lights brand is even 90ish. Its not always the case that an expensive solution is the best one.

http://www.cinemills.com/index.php

They look like good lights and I'm considering ordering HMI and Flouro Light kits from them. Any thoughts?

Hi

I bought two of their 150 Watt Tungsten Fresnels (http://www.filmgear.net/tungs150_spec.html) about 2 months ago and their are easily as well made as my Arri's (To the point of I'd be p*$£ed if I was Arri). I then bought one of their of their Flos (With Kino tubes) about two weeks ago (http://www.filmgear.net/fluorescent_box04048_spec.htm) and again I'm extremely happy with it. Over all I'd say amazing value for money

Regards

Rupert Mac

http://www.cinemills.com/index.php

They look like good lights and I'm considering ordering HMI and Flouro Light kits from them. Any thoughts?

Hi

I bought two of their 150 Watt Tungsten Fresnels (http://www.filmgear.net/tungs150_spec.html) about 2 months ago and their are easily as well made as my Arri's (To the point of I'd be p*$£ed if I was Arri). I then bought one of their of their Flos (With Kino tubes) about two weeks ago (http://www.filmgear.net/fluorescent_box04048_spec.htm) and again I'm extremely happy with it. Over all I'd say amazing value for money

Regards

Rupert Mac

Yes, I've seen many of the lighting clones of various kinds over here in China and the quality is usually always great. A few have some wiring issues that need cleaning up with using better quality wire though. But the actual structure of the fixtures is extremely good. There are many kinds of clones sold of just about every kind of popular product in the world and it's just the reality whether it's right or wrong. A popular movie comes out and its got one of a similar story on its heels many times. The original popular movie itself though may be a synthesis of some other great stories. How many really new ideas or products are there?

In reality, when you look at all the fresnels of the world, at the inside level, they all have the same basic ideas. Other than the design aesthetics of the outside of the units what really separates one fresnel from another other than the particulars of the focusing sled and the slight differences among fresnel lenses and their effects. How can one manufacturer claim another is infringing when they themselves probably originally infringed on someone else's design somewhat to come up with what they currently have to offer. I wonder who Arri might have infringed on themselves over the years?

I've included a picture of a raw 1200w par fixture I saw at a recent visit.

post-19574-1183245714_thumb.jpg

I have used Cinemills 20KW tungsten, 18KW HMI these are based on the lightweight brute/arc housing.

in terms of craftsmanship they leave the rest behind. I 1st used these on the model unit of the Avengers.

the spot and flood are very precise and leave all the competition behind.

Having used Arri, Lee,LTM,+ afew not worth a mention.

Always check what fresnel you have the shot glass being the best?(but more expensive) These are the old brute /arc fresnel.

If anybody has an arri lamp that the doors do not fall out of please tell me? Without doubt the most dangerous piece of equipment on any set.

lots of equipment made in China.Spare parts?maybe. Not so sure.

Not checked Cinemills site for a while.Tell me what interests you and I'll have a look.

"Please dont forget most lighting ideas are at least 100 years old."