anamorphic on film camera?

kevin jackman

i recall seeing a post someplace on the net about a person who fit an anamorphic 16:9 video lens on his arri st.the point was to be able to place lenses on the front and not have backfocus issues.does anybody know anyone who has done something like this?

i recall seeing a post someplace on the net about a person who fit an anamorphic 16:9 video lens on his arri st.the point was to be able to place lenses on the front and not have backfocus issues.does anybody know anyone who has done something like this?

It's not physically possible.

At least not if you intend to use this for actual photography rather than as an object for a curio shelf.

This is something I found a few months ago... You should check it out, this might be what you are talking about, toward the end there are some still pictures of the camera showing how the lens was mounted.

hope this helps, I thought it was cool

the crazy thing is im sure i saw the post ont his site a couple of years ago. somebody took a 16:9 anamorphic and mounted it directly to the camera. a lens mount was then fasioned in the front of it so lenses would sit in front of the anamorphic, not behind.a benefit to this i would think is there would be no issues with focus or zoom since the backfocus onto the anamorphic is consistant. i think it would be great to be able to do with a standard camera. unfortunatly no matter how much i try and search the site i cant find the post! there was even a picture.

Does anyone know how one could shoot 16 anamorphic? I was thinking print to 35mm and then unsqueeze it in post. Something like that, does anyone know?

The standard unsqueeze ratio for 35mm anamorphic in projection is 2X. So to minimize confusion you should also film with a 2X anamorphic squeeze in front of your regular lens. Something like a 16-H anamorphic will work in front of many prime lenses but very few zooms and with very limited choices of zoom focal length.

Blowing 16mm anamorphic up to 35mm anamorphic will require a slightly unusual enlargement ratio that loses the left and right sides of the 16mm frame, but is enlarged a bit more to fill the standard height of 35mm 'scope rather than Academy height. You would need to discuss this with the blowup lab. The 16mm with 2X squeeze is 2.66:1 so you need to lose some off the sides to reach the standard 2.39:1 of 35mm.

I have shot 16mm 'scope before and it is great stuff until you try to find a good screen to project it on to, or you try to telecine it, etc.

You should be able to telecine anamorphic 16mm, which was shot with either a 1.33X or 2X squeeze, on any high end setup with geometry adjustments. Talk to the Rank etc. house of your choice.

Edited by Clive Tobin

• Premium Member
Does anyone know how one could shoot 16 anamorphic? I was thinking print to 35mm and then unsqueeze it in post. Something like that, does anyone know?

You don't need to blow it up to 35mm if all you want to do is unsqueeze it in post. Just transfer the 16mm anamorphic footage on a telecine, electronically unsqueeze and convert to a letterboxed image.

Wow guys thanks for the help on my answer. I've been looking into finding lenses capable of 16mm anamorphic that did it correctly. It'd be interesting to shoot it because I dont know any 16mm camera that can unsqueeze anamorphic in the viewfinder. Possibly the Arri universal viewfinder on an SR3 or 416? Either way that's more of a luxury. I'll see how I could do this.

Wow guys thanks for the help on my answer. I've been looking into finding lenses capable of 16mm anamorphic that did it correctly. It'd be interesting to shoot it because I dont know any 16mm camera that can unsqueeze anamorphic in the viewfinder. Possibly the Arri universal viewfinder on an SR3 or 416? Either way that's more of a luxury. I'll see how I could do this.

Shooting 16mm anamorphic 2:1, then do a normal/ regular bolwup 35mm release print for

theatrical release is possible, but while blowup the 35mm full frame is not possible, and a

letter boxed 1.85:1 frame will result out of the blowup, but with 2:1 squeeze, which will not

have any complication in having screened in any commercial theatre, with a black border

on top and bottom which will not be noticed by any cinema viewer and will not affect the

viewer,

I am doing the anamorphic 16mm shooting for low budget feature films with adapting

35mm anamorphic lenses on to Eclair NPR 16mm and they are bulky sure but for the low budget

commercial features it is worth taking the trouble and complications, which are released

in a limited theatrical release,with commercial viability,

Gaspar Noe does it with all his films.

Reg 16mm with x2(2.66) or x1.5(basically 2.0) projector lens mounted in step-up or step-down ring, depends of course. Focusing can be a bitch according to Noe's photographer.

Have you seen IRREVERSABLE ? Anamorphic 16mm. There is a great artical in EyeBall magazine about his set-up.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Jonnie

• Premium Member
Gaspar Noe does it with all his films.

Reg 16mm with x2(2.66) or x1.5(basically 2.0) projector lens mounted in step-up or step-down ring, depends of course. Focusing can be a bitch according to Noe's photographer.

Have you seen IRREVERSABLE ? Anamorphic 16mm. There is a great artical in EyeBall magazine about his set-up.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Jonnie

really? i thought he was a big fan of the a minima which is only available as super 16.

• 4 months later...