Sign in to follow this  
Dan Goulder

Digitizing classic films for HD

A large number of classic (as well as not-so-classic) movies are being currently being transferred to HD. I was wondering if any of them, specifically any of the big studio classics, are ever digitized from a pin-registered film scanner, as opposed to HD telecine. (I'm watching a pristine, rock-steady HD transfer of Chinatown as I write this). I'm just curious if any of the high-end telecine machines are capable of this degree of registration, or if they're being used in conjunction with stabilization processes available from workstations such as a Smoke or Flame. Thanks.

Most telecine work is pretty stable, as evidence by the fact that a Spirit can be used for D.I. work.

There is some restoration work done using film scanners though -- "Dr. Strangelove" for example.

Unfortunately most "restoration work" is really not that at all, it's a digital clean-up and repair of a telecine transfer for home video, usually at HD resolution.

Most telecine work is pretty stable, as evidence by the fact that a Spirit can be used for D.I. work.

There is some restoration work done using film scanners though -- "Dr. Strangelove" for example.

Unfortunately most "restoration work" is really not that at all, it's a digital clean-up and repair of a telecine transfer for home video, usually at HD resolution.

I have done some work at Post Logic NY and while we were there the second room was working on mastering several films for video. The workflow was Spirit/DaVinci 2k or Spirit/Pogle to D5 and then dust busting and general cleanup of prints in a single link hd enviornment. D5 is a nice video format but as David says it's not real restoration as it's still video.

hooligan

I know that some Criterion titles were transferred on a Spirit at Nice Shoes to Thomson/Philips D6 "Voodoo"

You could go to HDCamSR instead now....

-Sam

I know that some Criterion titles were transferred on a Spirit at Nice Shoes to Thomson/Philips D6 "Voodoo"

You could go to HDCamSR instead now....

-Sam

The stuff they were working on at PL was Jackie Chan films from HK for Miramax and a Criterion in B+W....about a year ago..

-Rob-