Absurd article completely discredits cinematographer of a film

Well what you young guys need to understand is that the boss always takes credit for every one elses good work. I'm guessing none of you have spent time in the corporate world.

It's quite common for a group of people to work on a project under a VP. This group may do all the work and come up with 100% of the ideas. If the project is a success the president of the company will reward the VP with a bonus and possibly an award. The employees who actually did the work will get nothing, and at best are allowed to keep their jobs. If the project is a failure the VP will blame the people in his dept and some will get fired.

I've seen cases where people did amazing work for a big company, and then where immediately laid off.

The same is true for the film biz. The director does have final approval over every thing, and being the director he can take credit for any thing he wants basically. If an actor gives a great performance, he can say, "I cast him and directed him." And the director would be right.

If you young guys think you'll get your just credit for the work you do in this world, think again.

R,

To be fair Spielberg doesn't take the credit in that piece, he sort of gets awarded it by a sloppy writer. I'm sure he could take credit for the lighting plan.

But then Spielberg is one of those technically accomplished directors who, like Kubrick, can actually light. Kubrick, of course, often did.

I may not be as familiar with Spielberg's earlier work, but tell me where evidence exists that Spielberg is a competent lighting cameraman? I'm sure he has awareness of technique and technical issues to a fair degree - much as many great directors do - but to compare his involvement to Kubrick's? I question that.

I don't think Vilmos's feelings will be too hurt by this. Actually, if I saw an article about the light in a film that I worked on being praised I would be very proud. I would be willing to bet just the experience of being on that set would be worth forfeiting a little street cred from some half baked journalism. :)

I don't think Vilmos's feelings will be too hurt by this. Actually, if I saw an article about the light in a film that I worked on being praised I would be very proud. I would be willing to bet just the experience of being on that set would be worth forfeiting a little street cred from some half baked journalism. :)

is the writer of the article even a credible source? even if she is, does it matter? its one persons opinion, every one is entitled to theirs.

carlos

• Premium Member
Well what you young guys need to understand is that the boss always takes credit for every one elses good work. I'm guessing none of you have spent time in the corporate world.

If you young guys think you'll get your just credit for the work you do in this world, think again.

R,

I totally agree with Richard on this one, yep that's the way it works. unfair as it is..

Cheers

Sean