Soderbergh...

Jim Jannard

Steven Soderbergh to shoot "The Argentine" and "Guerrilla", starring Benicio del Toro, exclusively with RED cameras.

In a very brave move, Steven Soderbergh has chosen to shoot "The Argentine" and "Guerrilla", starring Benicio del Toro, with RED prototype cameras. Soderbergh will shoot RED at full 4K resolution, REDCODE RAW and record to Compact Flash.

"This is the camera I've been waiting for my whole career: jaw-dropping imagery recorded onboard a camera light enough to hold with one hand. I don't know how Jim and the RED team did it--and they won't tell me--but I know this: RED is going to change everything." says Soderbergh.

The prototypes are two generations newer than Boris and Natasha, the cameras Peter Jackson used to shoot "Crossing the Line" in New Zealand a couple of months ago.

The RED 18-55mm T3 (f2.8) CF lens and many RED accessories were also chosen by Soderbergh for these movies. Shooting begins in Spain July 24th.

Jim

In a very brave move, Steven Soderbergh has chosen to shoot "The Argentine" and "Guerrilla", starring Benicio del Toro, with RED prototype cameras.

I am shocked, at last Jannard has said something I can agree with :lol:

Soderbergh will shoot RED at full 4K resolution, REDCODE RAW and record to Compact Flash.

He might think he is shooting at 4K, you might think he is shooting at 4K, I KNOW he is only shooting 2K, as will anybody else who actually understands how the cameras work. Yes an old chestnut, but nobody has put it out to pasture yet.

But I still eagerly await results. I also eagerly await the results from the first Red subscriber to get a camera he can truly do what he likes with.

• Premium Member
So did Stevie Boy have a reservation or was he allowed to jump the queue in the name of name recognition? ;)

What it says is that he's shooting with prototypes, not final production cameras. It's like beta testing software. The development of any modern camera includes building and testing prototypes. That's usually done internally by the company, and not publicised. What's unusual is making an actual feature on prototypes. Perhaps the Jackson tests took them so far beyond what testing usually is that the leap looked like a small step.

-- J.S.

What it says is that he's shooting with prototypes, not final production cameras. It's like beta testing software. The development of any modern camera includes building and testing prototypes. That's usually done internally by the company, and not publicised. What's unusual is making an actual feature on prototypes. Perhaps the Jackson tests took them so far beyond what testing usually is that the leap looked like a small step.

-- J.S.

Does that mean no models will get made until the beta testing is done?

• Premium Member
Does that mean no models will get made until the beta testing is done?

I can't speak for Red, but that's the way it works in software beta testing. For a physical product that can't be fixed by sending out patch files on the internet, it's even more important to get it right before you release it to manufacturing. Personally, I'd rather be patient than go through a recall. Or live with something they woulda tweaked, but isn't worth a recall.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
What it says is that he's shooting with prototypes, not final production cameras.

Soderberg apparently starts shooting at the end of July. According to Jim the first 50 Reds will get build by August 30th. Now that one month gap between 'prototype' and 'production model' seems so short to me that I think they just called his camera 'prototypes' so that none of the reservation holders would get upset that he was allowed to jump the queue.

Now that one month gap between 'prototype' and 'production model' seems so short to me that I think they just called his camera 'prototypes' so that none of the reservation holders would get upset that he was allowed to jump the queue.

As a reservation holder, i do appreciate that the directors

Steven Soderbergh (Oceans 11)

Timur Bekmambetow (Nightwatch)

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings)

Mark Neveldine (Crank)

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3209

are volunteers for the beta test. Besides, it gives good namedrops and marketing, which again are helpful on the ROI on the Red Cameras for us.

With a little luck, ROI might be less than 6 months. And having 6 months ROI on 2 camera units is, besides brilliant images, what is interesting to us.

• Premium Member
Soderberg apparently starts shooting at the end of July. According to Jim the first 50 Reds will get build by August 30th. Now that one month gap between 'prototype' and 'production model' seems so short to me that I think they just called his camera 'prototypes' so that none of the reservation holders would get upset that he was allowed to jump the queue.

Question is, does he get to keep them? Prototypes are generally not sold, at least not early in the production history of a design. Usually a company will retain them as muesum pieces, scrap them, or if at all, sell them after the model is discontinued. That's for successes. If a company folds, its prototypes are usually auctioned with everything else. -- That, or they end up in some engineer's garage..... ;-)

-- J.S.

I can't speak for Red, but that's the way it works in software beta testing. For a physical product that can't be fixed by sending out patch files on the internet, it's even more important to get it right before you release it to manufacturing. Personally, I'd rather be patient than go through a recall. Or live with something they woulda tweaked, but isn't worth a recall.

-- J.S.

Considering many sub $US30 DVD players can now upgraded in firmware by just loading and playing a CD-ROM, it would surprise me if the RED did not have some similar procedure. I would imagine you would download a file from RED.com into a Flash Drive and plug it into the RED's USB socket, if it has one. Or maybe plug your PC into it to run diagnostics.

This is the 21st century, a radical new camera needs radical new maintaining procedures :lol:

I imagine a system that figures out what board is faulty and places the order for you over the Internet on your behalf!

Max... sometimes you kill me with your posts.

The prototypes that are now being used to shoot features do NOT have all features. There is no sound capability, they have limited frame rates, they will not record anything but 4k REDCODE RAW... to name just a few. The guys shooting the features have enough that they need to use them. They also have to live with quirks while we bug check before production, but seem happy enough to do that given the image they are getting. We could never sell these as production units.

Jim

• Premium Member
The prototypes that are now being used to shoot features do NOT have all features. There is no sound capability, they have limited frame rates, they will not record anything but 4k REDCODE RAW... to name just a few.

Indeed sound recording capacity is incredibly important , isn't it? ;)

Indeed sound recording capacity is incredibly important , isn't it? ;)

At the price point Jim is bringing the Red in and opening the market to the public and indie filmmakers I think sound is important.

I guess this would be a stupid question for Jim but why not make a Red film camera to sit with the Red video camera? Interchangeable lenses for both and even batterys and other stuff? Best of both worlds then? Perhaps Red could have its own film labs? And stocks? with franchises farmed out world wide? There really is a need for it. A one stop Red centre for both kinds of film making?

• Premium Member
At the price point Jim is bringing the Red in and opening the market to the public and indie filmmakers I think sound is important.

I was not referring to indie films made for 3 cents, but feature films that have a budget where these 'prototype' are being 'tested' on. These films all have enough money to record sound separately to say a Cantar, as they have always done.

You replied

---------------------------------------------

Indeed sound recording capacity is incredibly important , isn't it?

--------------------------------------------

Jims point here was establishing the cameras to be prototypes not consumer models. Your post

You replied

-----------------------------------------

I was not referring to indie films made for 3 cents, but feature films that have a budget where these 'prototype' are being 'tested' on. These films all have enough money to record sound separately to say a Cantar, as they have always done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying Jim doesn't know why his camera doesn't need sound in a professional setting and an attempt to way to subvert his post regarding his qualification of it being a Prototype?

Is this what you saying?

-----------------------------------------------

• Premium Member
Are you saying Jim doesn't know why his camera doesn't need sound in a professional setting and an attempt to way to subvert his post regarding his qualification of it being a Prototype?

Is this what you saying?

Don't be childish. I was replying to your post, as evidenced by the fact that a quoted you. For your information on the great majority of professional shoots sound is recorded separately, so the fact that these 'prototypes' do not record sound is not a drawback at all.