About Visual Effects for Cinematography....

Hello everybody... I am a upcoming cinematographer... I need to know whether today we as a cinematographers need to learn VFX also??? If so what course would it be? Is it something like shake or smoke?? Or any thing else?? What should we learn along with cinematography?? I need guidance from you people.. great cinematographers... Thanks in advance....

• Premium Member

I don't think a cinematographer has to learn how to use Flame or Inferno... the basics of PhotoShop would probably be enough, but you do need to learn the principles of things like mattes and composites, perspective for miniatures, frame rates, etc. the sort of basics of visual efx.

You probably won't be doing the composite work, but you have to shoot elements that will work together, plus you need to be able to recommend one efx technique over another when asked -- when a luminence key is better than a chroma key, when you need to do a composite versus a split-screen, etc.

So I would read some basic textbooks on effects, both computer and the old-fashioned kind like miniatures, and read Cinefex magazine. And spend some time watching an efx person work with your footage to see what the problems are.

I don't think a cinematographer has to learn how to use Flame or Inferno... the basics of PhotoShop would probably be enough, but you do need to learn the principles of things like mattes and composites, perspective for miniatures, frame rates, etc. the sort of basics of visual efx.

You probably won't be doing the composite work, but you have to shoot elements that will work together, plus you need to be able to recommend one efx technique over another when asked -- when a luminence key is better than a chroma key, when you need to do a composite versus a split-screen, etc.

So I would read some basic textbooks on effects, both computer and the old-fashioned kind like miniatures, and read Cinefex magazine. And spend some time watching an efx person work with your footage to see what the problems are.

I know about chroma key. But what is luminance key? Can u kindly explain it!!