Hi all ,I am going to take the class "Advanced Digital Video Lighting" at Rockport,Maine starting july 8.The instructor is Michael Minock.Its anybody here planning to take a cinematography class at Rockport l this summer?I am also thinking about the "Feature Film Lighting" class in setember.Again if anybody around here could share some previous experience with these or other classes at Rockport I would very much appreciate it .

Peace

Hey Artur,

I just got back from the Maine Media Workshops last night and found it to be incredible. I took the "Feature Film Lighting" from James Carter, ASC and it completely changed my perspective on lighting. Since this was a level 3+ course, more time was spent on the creative realm than the hands-on technical realm. Some of my classmates were frustrated by this, but I found that to be an appropriate balance. The only thing that I was unsatisfied was we were unable to shoot on film, since the lab they used was closed on the Fourth of July. But it shouldn't be in issue with DV!

I am guessing you'll be using the Sony F-900 HD Camera in the sound stage and the Canon XL H1 if you do exteriors. Some advice I have is:

• Take as many stills as you can
  • Bring something to record the lectures you attend
  • The quality of your experience is very dependent on who you choose to work with: be attentive the first day and choose wisely.
  • Buy mosquito repellent and wear it every day!

Those are just a few thoughts, but I could go on and on. Let me know if you want me to go into more specifics. Enjoy yourself, it's an amazing experience.

Take care,

Alex M. White

Hi Artur,

I also finished taking the Feature Film Lighting course with James Carter the first week of July. I have to say that overall I was satisfied with the course. Our mornings consisted of analyzing lighting in movies, reviewing our reels, and looking at footage shot the previous day. In the afternoon, we were split up into groups of 5 and we shot small scenes in different lighting conditions. In the evening our instructor provided lighting demos, which were great.

As Alex stated, one of my dissappointments was not being able to shoot on 16mm. Instead we shot HDV. And as far as locations, we weren't given much of a choice on where to shoot. We scouted out a cool bar, a farmhouse, etc, but we weren't able to shoot there because we did not have a generator for power supply!? I'm not sure quite sure were our additional lab fee was applied given the fact we never shot on film..

All cons aside, I did learn alot from this course. It isn't so much of a technical course.. it's a creative class where you learn how to light by your eye rather than just using a light meter. James Carter knows his stuff and is very personable. If you have the chance I strongly suggest you take the Camera and Visual Storytelling class taught by Steve Fierberg in September. I heard so many great things about this class and instructor in particular, while I was at the workshops. I plan on taking it myself.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm going to hijack the thread a little. I'm also looking at going to Rockport Main in Sept for the Feature Film Lighting class.

I feel like I'm fretting about unimportant stuff. I scored a 47 on their test which puts me at a level 4ish, but I feel like more of my knowledge is from books and less from practical (that's how I feel, it may not be true :P but I'm coming from a video world, and that's one of the reasons I want to take this class). How much do they assume the students know going into the class? What equipment do they have to work with?

I'm actually going to call them tomorrow morning for availability, questions, etc.

-Josh