Kodak 7277 Stock - Strenghts and Weaknesses

Hello to all those who have gone before me,

I have access to a few rolls of Kodak 7277 that I want to use for a low budget music video I am shoting the end of this month.

I have read Kodak's description of the stock as being "softer" in color and more pastel, which I like, tonaly, for the song.

However the exposure photo on Kodak's website mikes the film look like a grainy mess.post-12356-1183768256_thumb.jpg

I wan't to play to the stock's strengths and avoid it's weelnesses.

The video will have a female vocal performance using outdoor locations (Natural light) and a studio section which will be more of a Svankmajer's short film... live action and stop motion.

Any ideas or input would be apreciated based on your experiance with the stock.

Thanks

Kip Kubin

-

Don't worry....that picture is not representative of the stock....Don't know why it looks so grainy. Yes, the colors were a bit more pastel and generally less contrasty than the '79 and the '74 were---but not nearly as pastel a feel as some of the Vision2 stocks in my opinion (especially '18). The dead give-away on the '77 was always the green for some reason--had a unique tone. None of the unique characteristics were extreme to the point that they could not be mostly compensated for in transfer if you wanted to.

Don't forget to over expose a bit as that stock has been out of production for a while and is probably a bit old.

Don't forget to over expose a bit as that stock has been out of production for a while and is probably a bit old.
\\Thanks

How much is "a bit" as far as the overexposing goes?

Full stop??? Half stop??? More???

Thanks for the info.

Kip

• Premium Member

I recall that there were some duplication problems with the printed promotional material for that film, giving that grain-like appearance. I suspect someone just rephotographed a print with a specular optical system, rather than properly copying the negative directly.

A few years ago they had a normal picture posted. It was a scan from the neg, and it looked ok, then for some unknown reason the webmasters replaced it with this grainy picture.

But the original frame looked great (it was the same frame)

• Premium Member
A few years ago they had a normal picture posted. It was a scan from the neg, and it looked ok, then for some unknown reason the webmasters replaced it with this grainy picture.

But the original frame looked great (it was the same frame)

Perhaps our webmaster used excessive compression?

Perhaps our webmaster used excessive compression?

well that's not really how typical jpg compression looks like, but there might be some truth in it.

I wish I saved that file back then. It isn't just the grain, it also looked brighter and less contrasty

Edited by Ed Nyari