Aaton XTR ebay SCAM

andres victorero

• Premium Member
Hi Andres,

Do you have more information?

Stephen

I would certainly say it is suspicious and raises red flags. There has been no activity on his account since April of 2002. He has never sold anything on eBay. There is little to no description of the camera. Only one small picture. And I remember reading the "rest of our equipment got stolen and we only have this one body left" story sometime within the last twelve months.

But without "Ask seller a question" and getting no response, I would not say for sure it is a scam. Maybe Andres knows something we don't.

-Tim

And I remember reading the "rest of our equipment got stolen and we only have this one body left" story sometime within the last twelve months.

I have read that in the last month, and I'm pretty sure it was the same picture, but a different seller.

• Premium Member

Here's one that I would love to be true, but it reeks of SCAM.

Arriflex 16SRII

Seller just registered on Thursday, high dollar item, doesn't even know that the pictures he has posted contradict each other (the close up picture of the front lens element is from a Zeiss Super Speed, not the 10-100 T2.8 zoom he is selling with the camera), and a link to an outside email address telling interested buyers to contact him that way.

A real shame as I am looking for an SRII.

-Tim

Hi Andres,

Do you have more information?

Stephen

Hi I was the second high bidder of the this camera the last week. some days after i received a "buy it now". I ask to the seller that I was interested in the cam. The seller gave me the bank account (Russian person I think)

I asked to the seller some info and a serial number pic. the seller send me a serial number but it was a pic of other aaton item (i dont know which)

I replied that the pic didn´t match with the camera serial number, the seller reply me that he didn´t have any info or pic about this cam... beautiful scam, I´m sure

very interesting indeed. Item # 110146340803 is most definitely a scam. There new story is as follows apparently:

Hello,

As i said in my first email i will explain how iSOLD it works because i want you to be clear on every aspect of this transaction. They are the number one selling service on eBay. You simply drop an item to one of their stores,you find a buyer and they will take care of the rest. When i left in my honeymoon i left 12 items for sale in their custody, they picked them up from my home so don`t ask at what store, or where the item is exactly because i don`t know...as long as they are handling the shipping and handling i don`t care where they are. I forgot to mention that the shipping is included in the price of sale. They offered me a discount on shipping because i am selling a large number of items and i can afford that.

So basically they have the item insured and ready for shipping. As soon as i will have your shipping details i will send it to them and they will start the transaction. They will email you with an invoice and payment instructions. You will have to send the payment to one of their agents by following the payment instructions. Then you will send the payment details to them, they will validate the transaction and will start the shipping ASAP. If you will have questions you can ask them directly.

Unfortunately the pick up is not possible because this is an urgent sale (like i said before i intended to sell this on eBay when i should have returned from my honeymoon but due to some recent problems back home i am forced to sell it now). iSOLD It suggested to offer a return policy because my offers would substantially increase so i am offering a 10 day guarantee. This eliminates the pick up option but you will have the time to inspect it and decide if you want it or not. If for any reason you decide not to keep it, they will give you a full refund and will return the item on my expense.

So if you agree with this terms and decide to proceed, then i will need your full name and shipping address in order to start the transaction.

Thank you

Kathy

This was after sending them a message asking for serial #.

Now keep in mind this was for a Arriflex 35III camera w/ Jurgens Color Video door not aforementioned item but when inquiring about new item I pretty much received the same message but from her "husband". Pretty gutsy stuff if you ask me. Feel free to PM if you have more questions. I am not even sure I am supposed to be posting this much info but I would hate for someone to lose out on some money. Does anyone know how to report this person on ebay? PM me dont post here as I will edit this out later.

• Premium Member

The way to contact eBay to report a fraudulent listing is at this web address. Choose the first hyper-linked entry "How do I report a fraudulent listing?" and then follow the steps to report it. You must have the auction number.

Report Fraudulent Listing on eBay

That, "I gave the camera to someone to sell for me while I am on my honeymoon" SCAM has been going on for a few years now. The whole thing is really disgusting.

-Tim

I've got 2nd chance option to buy it now (XTR); when I looked at bid history; the other bidders had conceal identity ( No name).

I contacted the seller for more info;s16? top speed?. , etc. his answers were short; he only had that one picture of the camera,he only wanted bank wired money;(Unsecure transaction) I am glad i did not go for it.

I've gotten good deals on E-Bay in the past; just be careful who are you dealing with.

Regards.

Frankly I do not understand how one coould even consider investing in something like a serious production camera sight unseen from a complete stranger. Better off seeing the camera before making an investment like that or at least going to a reputable dealer like Abel and doing it right. I don't believe there is such thing as a free lunch!

I also asked for serial number and pics. Nothing first time around... and its been re-listed.

Bozeman1 was the previous high bidder, and left negative feedback.

I asked the seller why the camera is re-listed? No answer.

I asked Bozeman1 what happened, and still awaiting reply.

-Alain

I reported this (Aaton XTR) auction and another similar one to eBay last week. They took down the other aaton but not this one. What they had in common was they were each based, word-for-word and picture-for-picture, on items listed on a used equipment site called Kitmondo. The aution in question seems to be based on http://www.kitmondo.com/ViewListing.aspx?l...dName=AATON_XTR which is listed as being in Germany. The actual seller wants 8,000 Euros.

---george

Yeah, I reported them too but so far...its still up and rising! I feel bad for the highest bidder. I dont understand how someone can just blindly bid on something this expensive. I am a new film maker and even I know better than that. There are other reasons then work history to ask for a serial #.