CP-16R/A Lens question

Allen Lambert

I've recently acquired a CP-16R/A and I'm debating about which lens to buy. The camera has the orginal CP mount, so I'm wondering if I should consider a new "old" lens that Whitehouse is selling (Super16 Angenieux 17.5 - 70 zoom, mint), a regular 16 10-100 Angenieux zoom, or if I should get the lens mount changed when I have the camera serviced. Some other info about my situation.

1. I'm not yet sure if I'm going the S16 route. That's for another post! ; )

2. I have very little $$ invested in the camera, but I think it's in good shape.

3. I'm not a TOTAL noob, but my previous experience was with a Bolex H16 M5

4. I don't have a lot of $ to spend at present, and both of these lenses look like they're in at least decent shape and they aren't very expensive ($300-$400 range).

Opinions?

Much appreciated!

Allen

A nice lens is the Angenieux 9.5-57 f1.6

Compact, wide and fast.

If your near a rental house or cine lens repair shop and can have them look at it, don't forgo a clean Ang. 12-120. A clean well maintained one can be a very serviceable lens. And there are a lot of them around.

Allen,

I'd suggest using the C mount (not the standard C cup) and setting it up with a 10mm Switar and side finder...

But it really depends on what you want to shoot and whether you plan on shooting color or B/W.

A zoom is a big thing to hang off the CP-16/A if you do not need one. Primes are faster and tend to be sharper.

-Alain

HI

I thing there are not meny lenses for those camera . A good choice for a starter to standard 16 mm in cp mount is the anjenieux 10 150 old lense but covers in one whole the range of lenses can be used in a shooting.

CP 16 ra is a reflex camera i was working about three years with one of those and i never seen any adaptor to c mount , i have a cp to m42 2x extender adaptor and that was very difficult to find.

regards

Thanasis Diamantopoulos

Cinematographer

Athens Greece.

I would keep the CP mount. If you change the mount to PL then you won't be able to able afford any lenses, because they're all newer and in high demand. Changing the mount may make sense if you plan on renting lenses as needed, for the best possible results. And even if you plan on going to super 16 later, the CP mount is acceptable because with an adapter you're able to use Arri B or Standard lenses which are numerous.

As chuck suggests, I would get the Angenieux 9.5-57 as a low cost zoom for standard 16, maybe followed with the Zeiss 10-100. Consider these unusable for super 16 though.

I don't think a CP to c mount is possible as the rear threads would hit the mirror.

Guest Ian Marks

I have a 9.5 to 57 Angenieux in a CP mount and it's a great little lens. Small, fast, close-focusing. If you're considering modifying your camera to Super 16 later on, be forewarned that the 9.5 to 57 doesn't cover (neither do most of the lenses you're likely to find in a CP mount). The CP mount itself if terrific and I don't suggest changing it to a PL unless you've got money to burn and a set of PL-mount primes waiting in the wings. Remember that you can use lenses in the Arri standard and bayonet mounts with an adapter, which opens up all kinds of possibilities. Nikon lenses will fit too, if you can find one of the adapters - good for fitting telephotos, mostly. Hope this helps.

You don't see them very often but C.P. offered a set of primes in the C.P. mount. If I remember right they were made by Canon, but I could be wrong about that. Also every so often you see the Angenieux 5.9mm prime in C.P. or Arri mount . This was a very good lens, f 1.8 I think and good rectalinear correction.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice! I've been busy at work and I'm just now catching up with this post. I think I will keep the CP mount and keep my eyes open for a good Angenieux 10-150.

I think Alain was advising me on the camera I'm actually buying from him, which is a non-reflex CP. But what I'm asking about is for a reflex CP-16R/A.

Thanks again for the great advice!

Allen