Having a Negative Hunch about a Potential Client

First off, I would like to say I'm really amazed at the DP's websites. They all contain amazing works and some even give a bit of lessons on how to do their work.

Now, I have a question about how to maintain a good professionalism when you have a hunch -- which may or may have not been proven at the time -- that a potential client is not someone whose works/company you would want to be associated with?

I have read about such how to deal with such things from other business areas, but not the one in media/movie industry. I imagine that you have to deal with more image-related pressures than any other professions, right? Would you get sued by doing such refusal?

Thanks.

Kevin L (Handoyo)

PS: I'm not trying to discuss about how to be self-righteous here. It's just that there really are some companies, like Enron and another big megastore, whose deeds are 'killing' people out there.

First off, I would like to say I'm really amazed at the DP's websites. They all contain amazing works and some even give a bit of lessons on how to do their work.

Now, I have a question about how to maintain a good professionalism when you have a hunch -- which may or may have not been proven at the time -- that a potential client is not someone whose works/company you would want to be associated with?

I have read about such how to deal with such things from other business areas, but not the one in media/movie industry. I imagine that you have to deal with more image-related pressures than any other professions, right? Would you get sued by doing such refusal?

Thanks.

Kevin L (Handoyo)

PS: I'm not trying to discuss about how to be self-righteous here. It's just that there really are some companies, like Enron and another big megastore, whose deeds are 'killing' people out there.

Best policy is honesty... So, you want to "maintain" a professional relationship with someone you believe isn't trustworthy? Why? Just stop returning calls, stop communication... If they're too stupid to understand, then they're not worth the time and effort anyway.

You are well within your rights to refuse to work on any job for any reason.

Plenty of guys will decline projects that go against their principles. Perhaps they believe the project is gratuitously violent, sexuallly exploitative.

You may also decide to turn down a job because it is being produced for a company that you don't believe operates ethically. Exxon, General Electric maybe, to name but a few.

If you decide to decline a job, honesty is the best policy. Explain that you are uncomfortable with the subject matter.

Remember that the person hiring you is probably a third party (ad agency, production company) who has chosen to work on this project. Avoid sanctimony!

If you feel comfortable, you can recomend some of your colleagues for the job. If I decline a job for any reason, even scheduling conflict, I will give them numbers of some technicians I feel will do a good job.