Can I Chroma-key an entire movie?

Niki Mundo

I'm thinking about filming all exterior/interior buildings and streets in Seattle and then going to L.A. and working with actors on my no-budget epic. You may ask why not film entirely in L.A.? Because L.A. is hell and is a desert. Seattle is lush and green but all the people there are into everything but my film. I'm hustling but I'm not happy with the selection.. after posting numerous internet ads,talking with people at art functions and approach people randomly, I have a grand total of 8 people who have showed up to 3 auditions that I've put on. Needless- I'm resentful and eager to head south and tap into the L.A. scene.. I had a friend who ran a one-day audition for a short film in Santa Monica and got 300 people to show up..for a short film! In seattle it would take 15 years to get a total of 300. Is hollywood the place for a no-budget film to get prime acting talent? My film requires "lawerance of arabia" cast size..

Back to Chroma-keying.. shooting colour, releasing in B/W, is it possible to shoot all the actors on green screens and then place them into vacant live-action streets and buildings in Seattle- would it look good enough? Not fake and obviously green screened? Has software enabled the low-budget filmmaker to have seemless chroma-keying?

Thanks

First off, Im not a super duper pro like most people on this board but for something like this id imagine

a.) perspective will count alot

b.) focal lengths must be accounted for

c.) you will rely heavily on the post

d.) why not do a mock scene somewhere that looks like LA?

well those are my opinions

Carlos Martinez

I'm thinking about filming all exterior/interior buildings and streets in Seattle and then going to L.A. and working with actors on my no-budget epic. You may ask why not film entirely in L.A.? Because L.A. is hell and is a desert. Seattle is lush and green but all the people there are into everything but my film.

It's going to be into the mid 90s today here in Seattle. We're dying, I tells ya!

I understand what you mean about the lack of actors/actresses here. Casting my upcoming shoot has been an exercise in patience. Good luck to ya.

• Premium Member

The results of your keying will depend on your skill with the techniques, not the software. And to do it really well is time consuming and tedious. Not the easiest way to make a film.

Have you considered going to Vancouver? I know it's across the border, but maybe a no-budget film might be able to fly under the radar there. Seattle loses out to Vancouver for US productions that need that PNW "look" all the time, and even some productions that don't!

If you're looking for something beach-y...eh, I think I need to reword that. If you're looking for a good looking beach that have good looking shops nearby, you can try Whiterock in Greater Vancouver area. It does have hills with lust vegetations and there are places of other atmospheres nearby as well, so you can expand your film's scope without much problem. I'm not sure what kind of administrative works you have to do to get good shots around Vancouer, but usually my friends' groups just go and shoot. No permit no problemo. (As long as you don't require much set-ups, that is)

But, I guess you're already set for Seattle, eh? Anyway, good luck.

Edited by Handoyo Setiawan