Widescreen center (UK) for developing super 8

Ralph Tabith

Hi, was just wondering whether people could tell me their experiences (if any) with this shop in London. I dont really find them that friendly, but they seem ok, although I have had friends in the past that have bad experiences with them losing film that they were meant to develop.

Is there any other places in the UK that develops super 8 and telecines it? I believe that most of the black and white super 8 gets sent out to Germany from the Uk to get developed - is super 8 even developed in the UK anymore?

Thanks

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Catalog...e_division.html

Todd-AO only develop neg stocks in Super 8 e.g. 200T & 500T. They run their baths Tuesdays & Thursdays when I last checked.

The Widescreen Centre don't develop any Super 8 themselves, they farm the work out, almost all of it to Germany.

Film & Photo in Acton can in theory develop Super 8 E6 reversal, but the prices that they quote are so extravagantly exorbitant that you could probably fly to Berlin, get you film developed there, stay in a hotel, have a beer-drenched night out with a 3 course meal, AND still have spent less money than if had taken it to them. Although they do have the equipment & the ability to process it, I get the impression that they're not really interested in Super 8.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I think that Nowhere lab might be able to develop Super 8 B&W as neg. Could well be wrong though...

There are other companies that handle Super 8 processing in London (but like Widescreen don't do it in-house), including Sendean and Blue Audio Visual. At which point I must declare my personal interest, as I am a director and co-owner of Blue!

Todd-AO only develop neg stocks in Super 8 e.g. 200T & 500T. They run their baths Tuesdays & Thursdays when I last checked.

The Widescreen Centre don't develop any Super 8 themselves, they farm the work out, almost all of it to Germany.

Film & Photo in Acton can in theory develop Super 8 E6 reversal, but the prices that they quote are so extravagantly exorbitant that you could probably fly to Berlin, get you film developed there, stay in a hotel, have a beer-drenched night out with a 3 course meal, AND still have spent less money than if had taken it to them. Although they do have the equipment & the ability to process it, I get the impression that they're not really interested in Super 8.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I think that Nowhere lab might be able to develop Super 8 B&W as neg. Could well be wrong though...

There are other companies that handle Super 8 processing in London (but like Widescreen don't do it in-house), including Sendean and Blue Audio Visual. At which point I must declare my personal interest, as I am a director and co-owner of Blue!

Thanks for the info, I hadnt have thought of nowhere lab. In your opinion which is the best option, sending the film over to Andec? I have heard that they are a good lab,

There is no simple answer to that, as you have to weight up the benefits of price over convenience etc. What stock do you need to develop and how many rolls?

I will have about 6 tri x 200 d and about another 6 plus x 100 d. I was considering shipping them over to andec, but wont the xrays in customs zap the film?

I will have about 6 tri x 200 d and about another 6 plus x 100 d. I was considering shipping them over to andec, but wont the xrays in customs zap the film?

Would you have to mark the packet with something like "film do not x ray" etc?

Guest mark_baldry
Would you have to mark the packet with something like "film do not x ray" etc?

i used to use the Widescreen Centre but fund they are very expensive and their customer service stinks! they never reply to emails and are very rude and unhelpful.

to my knowledge all their film is developed by Andec in Germany. Andec are the opposite, they are very efficient and the helpfull. i've not had any bad experiences and i send off a lot of film.

post is not x-rayed so this shouldn't be a problem. i've sent films to USA for development and again never had a proplem. my only advice would be to send it registered so you can make sure it arives ok, having said that if you put your email address on your order Andec will email you when they recieve your films and then again when it has been processed.

not being in anyway affiliated with them, I'd recommend Blue AV any time. nice bunch of guys, really helpful with advice, their andec vouchers let you post your films yourself, and Andec's developing is great. no qualms about recommending that pair up.

the Todd AO option for neg is also very good, tho definitely more expensive - that said, excellent customer service, even on the little job I gave them, and the developed and TK'd in 22 hours... can't get much quicker than that...

I 'm about to get a larger run developed, and am contemplating sending to the states, given all the good stuff heard about Spectra... anyone with any experience of dealing with them from the UK? job is a mixture of 200T and 500T, mostly shot at 24fps, bar a couple of carts at 9fps.

not being in anyway affiliated with them, I'd recommend Blue AV any time. nice bunch of guys, really helpful with advice, their andec vouchers let you post your films yourself, and Andec's developing is great. no qualms about recommending that pair up.

Grant, your cheque is in the post!

Ralph, contact me by phone at Blue and I'll go through the options that we can offer.

• Premium Member
Grant, your cheque is in the post!

Ralph, contact me by phone at Blue and I'll go through the options that we can offer.

Hi Bart, do you ship your black and white super 8 to Andec? Do you have a website I could visit? Thanks

How much do you think it would cost to process ten rolls of VISION 200 at Todd-AO? I need to figure out how much to take to Paris on Sunday?

Also, do you think 200 ASA film will be safe being X-Rayed in my hand luggage?

How much do you think it would cost to process ten rolls of VISION 200 at Todd-AO? I need to figure out how much to take to Paris on Sunday?

Also, do you think 200 ASA film will be safe being X-Rayed in my hand luggage?

I rang up Blue Audio the other day and he said that x ray effects on film are cumulative so, once or twice shouldnt be a problem, he also said that modern xray machines have little dosage, older machines would be used in poorer countries may still have bad consequences, but dont quote me on that!