My First Demo Reel

I recently completed a fine cut of my first demo reel, a task that was a bit more challenging than I had thought. As this is my first time cutting a reel, I expect that there are ways it can be improved. I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

You can see the reel here:

Quicktime (16.5 MB): http://openlightstudios.com/portfolio/ColtonDavieDPReel.mov

Windows Media (10.9 MB): http://openlightstudios.com/portfolio/ColtonDavieDPReel.wmv

Thank you,

Colton Davie

• 2 weeks later...
I recently completed a fine cut of my first demo reel, a task that was a bit more challenging than I had thought. As this is my first time cutting a reel, I expect that there are ways it can be improved. I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

You can see the reel here:

Quicktime (16.5 MB): http://openlightstudios.com/portfolio/ColtonDavieDPReel.mov

Windows Media (10.9 MB): http://openlightstudios.com/portfolio/ColtonDavieDPReel.wmv

Thank you,

Colton Davie

Looks good. Did you go to Toccoa Falls college ? I saw a kid in your video wearing a TFC shirt. I used to live in Toccoa and worked at the CBS affiliate there about 4 years ago.

Nice work, I liked the flow and music. I'd say the best part of your reel is last 2/3rds. I'd suggest you put your best foot forward and show your best work first,. and last. You want to nail the first impression, and end with something memorable. Your intro was fine, I just thought your first scene with the dad and girl (I assume) seemed a little flat in comparison to the rest of the reel. I really like your title with the dolly to the door opening, that was cool.

Nice work, good luck!

- Greg

• Premium Member

The first scene was about the worst thing to open on that you have. Very flat and very boring. It just doesn't make you want to keep watching. Immediately following that are a lot of shots of hands. I don't find any of them very impressive and I wouldn't include more than maybe one. Unless you're specialized like in tabletop, you'll always be hired by how you light people. it's your bread and butter. You should show that off to the nth degree.

From what saw, you should cut about half of it or more. You only want shots in your reel that are impressive, expressive, pretty, or show off a skill. Anything else doesn't belonga nd makes your work seem weaker.

I don't care for the music. In a vacuum it's fine but against your work, the super-energetic music only serves to contrast a lot of fairly sedentary visuals. I guess what I'm saying is that if you ahd very energetic work, it would be awesome but as-is, it makes your work look boring. You could serve your work much better.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member

Second viewing:

1. I love the look of the music video at the end. I think you should open with it.

2. There is too much footage from each project. It appears as if you ahev shot about 3 shorts and a video or two. Whether or not this is true, it reflects poorly on your experience.

3. Too long. Assuming you have represented everything worthy that you ahve shot, I think your reel should be about a minute long. That will be short and sweet and it won't drag like this version. I forgot to time it but it seemed much too long.

4. Get rid of the letterbox. Just size your quicktime so that the edges of the video are the edges of the frame. It looks much cleaner, like you're proud of your work and want to show it off the best you can.

Edited by Chris Keth

Thanks for the critiques. It´s very helpful to get an objective viewpoint on my work, your thoughts concerning how the different sections ranked against each other were particularly interesting.

Thanks again,