Importing stock from across the Atlantic.

I've been looking around for places that sell short-ends/recans (16mm) and it seems that the secondhand stock market is pretty much limited to the US. I'm in the UK.

But the pound is so strong at the moment.

I thought about having a few feet imported (in the cheapest way possible). Would this be a wise decision? ...or would I be wasting my money on a couple of cans of x-ray fogged film?

• Premium Member
I've been looking around for places that sell short-ends/recans (16mm) and it seems that the secondhand stock market is pretty much limited to the US. I'm in the UK.

But the pound is so strong at the moment.

I thought about having a few feet imported (in the cheapest way possible). Would this be a wise decision? ...or would I be wasting my money on a couple of cans of x-ray fogged film?

Overseas shipping usually entails some risk of radiation fogging. Plus the cost of shipping may outweigh any savings.

Overseas shipping usually entails some risk of radiation fogging. Plus the cost of shipping may outweigh any savings.

It's not the shipping costs I'm worried about -- they can be kept low if I'm prepared to wait long enough -- but, obviously, I wouldn't be prepared to wait for ruined stock!

Oliver,

I have purchased film from overseas before with no significant issues. One problem I did experience however was pressure fogging due to the cans being slightly dented. The problem was however confined to the sprockets. The film I purchased was low ASA. I would be more wary of purchasing a high ASA film as it would be more sensitive to X-Ray damage.

A reputable seller of short-ends or recans will usually plaster the package with "Do Not X-Ray" labels. It is prudent to dip test all the film before use!

I understand that the United States Postal Service (USPS) no longer offers Surface or Sea-Mail so this cheap form of shipping is not an option.

Most short-ends/recans are much cheaper to purchase in your home country however exchange rate variations and "specials" can make it worth the risk.

Henry.

It's not the shipping costs I'm worried about -- they can be kept low if I'm prepared to wait long enough -- but, obviously, I wouldn't be prepared to wait for ruined stock!