Has anyone worked with a Colortran CO2 powered dolly?

Matt Meyer

First off, thanks for all the helpful advice on my Quest for Dollies. I've got a line on an old Colortran dolly that uses a CO2 cannister for the boom. However, I can't find any information online about how it recharges -- whether it plugs into the wall, uses a pump lever, or somehow needs to be recharged outside of the dolly (which is what the seller thinks).

Anyone have any recollection of how these units work?

Thanks much,

Matt

• Premium Member

I vaguely remember the ColorTran dolly from over 30 years ago. IIRC, it didn't work too well when it was new. The controls lacked subtlety. I never had to replace the CO2 tank.

Today you might be much better off converting it to compressed air. That, or run and hide in the mountains so Al Gore doesn't catch you. ;-)

-- J.S.

By small tank used for soda, I meant a tank about 30" tall. The type of tank that you refill or exchange at an industrial gas supply. If you converted it to compressed air, you would be introducing issues like moisture in to the cylinders and controls. CO2 is dry.

• Premium Member

Seriously, though, this thing would vent CO2 to the atmosphere. Particularly in use at a university, it's likely that someone of an environmental nature will notice and figure that out.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Commercially, CO2 is recovered from gases that are byproducts of other processes that would be vented to the atmosphere anyway, so tinned CO2 is not adding to the level in the atmosphere, just making a stop on the way.

By small tank used for soda, I meant a tank about 30" tall. The type of tank that you refill or exchange at an industrial gas supply. If you converted it to compressed air, you would be introducing issues like moisture in to the cylinders and controls. CO2 is dry.

Not that I have experiance with Co2 dollies, but I do have experiance with Co2. Forgive me if I am way off base. Is there not an inherent potential of introducing liquid Co2 into the cylinders and controls? If it is cold out or if the tank gets discharged many times in a short period you could begin to shoot extremely cold liquid Co2 into the dollies guts. Also the thing about Co2 is that as it runs out, the output pressure drops. Are these things even an issue with such a dolly.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Well Matt, unfortunatly, I have some experience with this dolly. A DP I grip for has one and I cringe every time I see it on the truck. It's sort of a joke now but the laughter fades when it rolls out. It' energized by the small co2 tanks. As far as I can tell, the co2 pressurizes the hydraulic resivoir that operates the post.

I know that because just two days ago I was on a shoot with it and the oil leaked out on the truck. The DP asked me to fix it in my shop so as soon as I get the job I'm working on out of the shop I'll tear into it.

I dolly grip for him but I have an FX company and he thinks I can fix or build anything. That's a little frightening in itself.

As far as the dolly is concerned, I'd keep looking for something else. It drifts terribly, the steering selector sucks. The wheels get square if you sit for any length of time...etc,etc...

Good Luck

Jared

• 1 year later...
Well Matt, unfortunatly, I have some experience with this dolly. A DP I grip for has one and I cringe every time I see it on the truck. It's sort of a joke now but the laughter fades when it rolls out. It' energized by the small co2 tanks. As far as I can tell, the co2 pressurizes the hydraulic resivoir that operates the post.

I know that because just two days ago I was on a shoot with it and the oil leaked out on the truck. The DP asked me to fix it in my shop so as soon as I get the job I'm working on out of the shop I'll tear into it.

I dolly grip for him but I have an FX company and he thinks I can fix or build anything. That's a little frightening in itself.

As far as the dolly is concerned, I'd keep looking for something else. It drifts terribly, the steering selector sucks. The wheels get square if you sit for any length of time...etc,etc...

Good Luck

Jared

I have one of those things, great for rolling a jib around, fits in a mini van, perfect for studio shoots