Squeaky Dolly Wheels

Brian Leid

I have a Panther Lightweight dolly with their old style track wheels. I just replaced the 14 year old Panther track with new Matthews track. On the new track, the wheels squeak. This did not happen on the Panther track.

One of our guys remembers hearing about some product(like WD-40)you can spray on the track to eliminate the squeaks. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I probably should just replace the wheels, so if you have recomendations for wheels let me know.

Thanks

Brian

Don't use WD-40, it'll make a mess. Something like Endust usually works well. I like to spray it on a rag and then rib this on the rail so as not to make a mess. I also use the lemon-scented version so as not to cause a stink on set.

• Premium Member
Pledge or end-dust will work for a while, but a time will come when the wheels are too gunked up with dirty wax, at which point you should switch to silicone spray.

I always use Baby powder but if Pledge/Endust is eventually going to gunk up the wheels,and you like

to use a spray, why not simply

start out with silicone spray rather than switching to it?

It's all about politics. Some people are really attached to using Pledge. Also, if you're in a practical location, maybe it's easier to clean up baby powder. If you want to be neat about spraying, you can spray the silicone (or Pledge) into a piece of cloth and the wipe down the track, or, point the right at the wheels and roll the dolly back and forth.

Edited by Jon Rosenbloom

• 1 month later...

Pledge is usually the most common use lubricant on dolly tracks and wheels

It is easy to get not very expensive and doesn't leave a mess like baby powder

I'm unsure if gunks up the wheels...but them again most grips don't repair dollies we just operate them. ;)

I say let he rental companies worry about their dolly's wheels...and use the quick solution.

Quick solutions are usually most perferably onset even though they'll cost you later on.

It's craxy I know but that's the business.

• Premium Member
Have you ever used silicon spray in quantity and then have to work around that dolly all day, perhaps for weeks? That's why people use Pledge.

No, I have no idea. I remember using silicon spray as a kid on a sticky winter coat zipper and some

toys and it seems to me that it was pretty strong stuff if you breathed it in. Is that what you mean?

• Premium Member

Furniture polish can create a slipping hazard on smooth floors and will gunk up carpets (and putting furny pads under the track isn't always practical or safe). Baby powder sweeps or vacuums right up from any surface, and doesn't accumulate into a gunky mess. That said, I've used both many times and polish works a little better.

This kind of reminds me of the petrolium-vs.-wax lube argument for mountain bike gears. White Lightning has never let me down! ;)