How much to rent?

Enrique Lombana

Does anyone know what it cost to rent this camera? I saw a production crew ad and they said they were shooting on the Genisis and this was a low ball budget movie. I thought, are the Genesis cameras that available now?

Just curious if anyone knew, thanks,

Enrique

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Does anyone know what it cost to rent this camera? I saw a production crew ad and they said they were shooting on the Genisis and this was a low ball budget movie. I thought, are the Genesis cameras that available now?

Enrique

In Australia its $5,000 AUD a day, no lenses just camera/SRW-1 back, batts etc.

Cheers.

Does anyone know what it cost to rent this camera?

It depends on their account details with Panavision, the reps have some latitude in making deals. I think the daily on the basic package is somewhere around $6,500 USD.

Instead of a "low-budget" project it could be a "blown-budget" project where they blew their whole budget on the camera package.

BTW, the norm is everyone says they have a low-budget even if it's $25 million dollars. It's low budget if they don't value you or your service/skills. But they can always find the money to do the things that are important to them. When is the last time anyone has had a call that said, "Hey, we have a huge budget and all the time in the world"? Savor those when you get them.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Las Vegas

• 4 weeks later...

Enrique

$10,000 per day i've seen some major motion pictures using multiple.

Edited by NSaito

• Premium Member
A Panavision rep recently told me that they are now interested in getting the Genesis on smaller movies. There are now about 70 cameras, and I guess they must have been out long enough to give a little bit of financial wiggle room.

Possibly a new strategy from Panavision as several rental houses are shortly going to have the Red available

• 1 month later...

If you translate Panavision Australia's Rental Catalog, which states the Genesis at $5,000 AUD per day into American Dollars, comes to about $4,200 USD per day.

Panavision is known to give discounts as well as often times offering 4 or 5 day weeks, at least thats what I hear about there Film Camera Packages.

Very few people EVER pay list price for something, unless your bad at negotiating.

Still IMHO, way to expensive for what the Camera is... You can shoot film (even with a DI) for the cost of just renting this equipment and enough room to store all the data.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member
Panavision is known to give discounts as well as often times offering 4 or 5 day weeks, at least thats what I hear about there Film Camera Packages.

Not sure where you got the 4 or 5 day week number from, every rental company I know gives 3 day weeks, you don't even have to negotiate.

Very few people EVER pay list price for something, unless your bad at negotiating.

That's true for features, but if you have a one or two day shoot (commercials, music videos, etc...) you're very likely to pay the full catalogue price.

• 1 year later...

Not surprisingly your relationship with the camera house will have a lot to do with your price, as well as the state of the local market. $6500/day is a good benchmark although if you're working a lot with Panavision they'll have an interest in helping you out to an extent - although again if the camera is in high demand at the time of your project, there'll be less of an incentive.

Expect 2009 to be a buyer's market all around, fortunately or unfortunately.

• Premium Member

You're WAY off. Here's an idea..Why don't you not say anything when it's clear that you have NO idea what you're talking about.

I was told by a representative of Panavision UK (this is some time ago now) that the GENESIS was the ONLY camera they do NOT offer some sort of weekly deal on....

But, as mentioned by other users on this forum the price you pay most likely has to do with how well you know people... as a film student I find myself bartering quite a bit and in my experience the less time you want the kit for, the easier it is. Case in point, I got a 90% discount on the daily rental for an HD-750 the other day, BUT it was just for the day...

• 3 months later...
I was told by a representative of Panavision UK (this is some time ago now) that the GENESIS was the ONLY camera they do NOT offer some sort of weekly deal on....

But, as mentioned by other users on this forum the price you pay most likely has to do with how well you know people... as a film student I find myself bartering quite a bit and in my experience the less time you want the kit for, the easier it is. Case in point, I got a 90% discount on the daily rental for an HD-750 the other day, BUT it was just for the day...

Update of my own post, the Genesis is now on the 3-for-7 deal, but it is still Panavision's most expensive cameras as far as I can see it (probably some exotic stuff excepted).