Big screen films shot on R16

Oliver Smith

Allow me to add....

Paul Morrissey, Shirley Clarke, Morris Engel, Lonel Rogosin, John Korty, Rob Nilsson, I think Victor

Nunez shot Gal Young Un (1979) in std 16mm?, Chantal Ackerman early works, Robert M. Young, Michael Roemer, Britta Sjogren (older films and the recently complete In This Short Life), and Jackie Raynal.

-Alain

Oliver et al,

A recent film that received quite a bit of critical attention and theatrical success was Andrew Bujalski's Mutual Appreciation (shot on SRII with Canon 8-64, entirely on 7222 in 1.33),

I have this movie on DVD ... great film although not for everyone's tastes. I'm just surprised it was shot with a Canon 8-64mm. Not very sharp on the DVD.

"Planet Earth" was shot mostly on HD, and they seem to diss 16mm in the DVD description

Note: Due to the nature of filming in some extreme and remote habitats, where sensitive HD cameras cannot be used, a small percentage of the material in Planet Earth was captured on 16mm film. For this reason some shots may exhibit visual artefacts, noise or apparent film grain. This is particularly evident in low light conditions and night vision shots. Every effort has been made to ensure that the picture quality is as clear and stable as possible in the circumstances

I have this movie on DVD ... great film although not for everyone's tastes. I'm just surprised it was shot with a Canon 8-64mm. Not very sharp on the DVD.

It was shot on the 8-64, but the stock is 7222. It was shot standard 16mm 1.33 and blown up to

35mm (pillarboxed) 1.33. Tho, I believe the transfer for the DVD was done from the neg, but yeah,

7222 is grainy stuff even when shooting standard and projecting standard. Kind of a nice look if you

ask me, grain dancing around everywhere.

As for the DVD, that will introduce a whole other layer of noise, esp in the blacks.

-Alain

Kind of a nice look if you

ask me, grain dancing around everywhere.

Yeah, I also like this look. Works great for this kind of movie. Thanks for the specs by the way. Just ordered "Funny Ha Ha" from the same director, and "Stranger than Paradise" by Jim Jarmusch (Criterion Collection, not sure if it's 16mm or S16)

• 3 weeks later...

How many notable 16mm films were shot in scope? The only one I've found is the Batman fan-film "Grayson" which was Super-16 anamorphic (and presented on video at full width... 3.15:1 :blink: )

now that's crazy. It was shot in 35mm Techniscope, same as 'El Topo'.

The Holy Mountain, Alejandro Jodorowsky's follow-up to El Topo, was shot in Techniscope. El Topo is regular 35mm.

• 6 months later...

The Wizard of speed and time was shot on an r16, but it was technically a short film. (after playing on a tv special and at many film festivals it was picked up by universal to play before showings of a cheech and chong movie.)