essential gaffing kit

I reckon all the basics that usually aren't included in your basic rented grip/gaffer kit. Leaving mostly expendables & tools.

I always have a good collection of wrenches, pliers & screwdrivers, gaffers tape, gels, C47's, gloves, mini-flash light with mouthpiece and your own light meter (calibrated to match the DP's meter). And since you're a gaffer, it's a good idea to have it all on your person, on a toolbelt.

• Premium Member
...and your own light meter (calibrated to match the DP's meter)...

The calibrated thing is especially important. I don't know the reason but meter of all kinds wander for some reason. I've compared my meter to other people's and it can be surprisingly different. I actually just got rid of a meter that, no matter how often I calibrated it, would wander in a few weeks. I caught it being nearly a stop off before!

Out of curiosity, how do you go about calibrating your meter to your DP's meter? I thought calibrating a light meter was only something that the manafacturer did? It sounds like a good idea to calibrate your meter to the DP's meter, I just wouldn't want to screw anything up.

As for the kit, most of the expendables and gear (tape, duvetyne, c-stands, etc etc) should be covered by the show. I think it's important to have good set of gloves, comfortable shoes, a leatherman (some people prefer gerber multi-tools), a 10'' crescent wrench, a headlamp and a flashlight, a good comfortable belt, laser pointers come in handy a lot when you're checking frame lines and such. A good insulated coffee mug is also a must, as well as a t-shirt from your favorite local grip house....

Out of curiosity, how do you go about calibrating your meter to your DP's meter? I thought calibrating a light meter was only something that the manafacturer did? It sounds like a good idea to calibrate your meter to the DP's meter, I just wouldn't want to screw anything up.

As for the kit, most of the expendables and gear (tape, duvetyne, c-stands, etc etc) should be covered by the show. I think it's important to have good set of gloves, comfortable shoes, a leatherman (some people prefer gerber multi-tools), a 10'' crescent wrench, a headlamp and a flashlight, a good comfortable belt, laser pointers come in handy a lot when you're checking frame lines and such. A good insulated coffee mug is also a must, as well as a t-shirt from your favorite local grip house....

I know that with Sekonic lightmeters like the l-558 cine that I own, you can calibrate your meter in the Calibration Compensation menu in 1/10 step EV increments.

Michael: What you also need is tools to measure electricity, like a multimeter. You can keep that in your box while you carry one of those handy screwdriver/voltage seekers with you on your toolbelt.

Out of curiosity, how do you go about calibrating your meter to your DP's meter? I thought calibrating a light meter was only something that the manafacturer did?

It's not a calibration as in a manufacturer's calibration, just make sure your meter and the DP's meter match up. If both meters are at 500 ASA and yours is about a 1/3 off from his/hers, then you can adjust your meter's ASA accordingly.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

I am shocked that no one has mentioned an inclinometer to measure the sun's path, and a color temp meter. I guess the color meter isn't as important with the digital side.

I would also recommend a gaffer's eye or contrast glass, and I always have both the harry box's handbook and the cinematographer handbook handy, both for charts and angles or in case the DP wants something I haven't used before personally.

Oh and a long tape measure, for a bunch of reasons. and the color swatches from rosco and lee.

A 25 or 30 foot tape measure. I disagree with the lightmeter requirement. Unless you are shooting film, you can easily get by without it. I'd add an "outlet checker", a plug in that tells you if the receptacle is live, grounded properly and wired correctly. Like this one: http://www.elexp.com/tst_9610.htm Any brand will be fine. Quicker than using your VOM. I wouldn't buy a voltage tick. Carry an assortment of screws, some drywall screw of different lengths and some machine screws (6-32, 8-32, 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-20 vaious lenghts) for repairs. Keep a two foot lenght of trick line in your pouch and some tie-wire.

• Premium Member
I disagree with the lightmeter requirement. Unless you are shooting film, you can easily get by without it.

I disagree with your disagreeing :P

You're main task is lighting. How are you supposed to do that without a meter? Are you supposed to be babysat by the DP and his meter? Hover over the monitor the entire time annoying the DP and director? I think a meter is very important, whether the medium is film or video.

• Premium Member

English Gaffers never carry meters. Quite right too, annoys me intensely. Fair enough if they're off doing an advanced pre light and you need a certain level, but otherwise its intrusive.

Its not necessary. Should the grip wander around with a viewfinder and lay track marks? No.

I also dislike people taking stills on set :)

Seriously. Winds me up big time

I disagree with your disagreeing :P

You're main task is lighting. How are you supposed to do that without a meter? Are you supposed to be babysat by the DP and his meter? Hover over the monitor the entire time annoying the DP and director? I think a meter is very important, whether the medium is film or video.

If you're the Gaffer on a shoot and have a lighting crew reporting to you, your place is by the DP side. And yes, you will look at the monitor so you can see what the DP sees and understand what needs to be told to your people to get the job done. If it's a video shoot, there is a good chance the camera operator, who is often the DP as well will be using "zebras" to determine exposure. It's called the chain of command.

I couldn't agree more JD.

Most of this thread has talked about what a lamp op should wear on their belt. The gaffer should have a light meter, color temp meter. I have been a lamp op for 7 years now and my main boss gives me instructions, and if he needs a tool... I hand him or her mine, as I am usually standing right beside them. Chain of command is a must, and how things work smoothly.

As a side note. How can you be in charge of the lighting department and not have a meter? I understand video is lit more by eye, but so is film. I have always known the DP to ask the gaffer what ratio and stop there is. A Gaffer without a meter is like a car with no wheels.

Edited by chris kempinski

I really agree with Tony about people taking stills on set. I find this really annoying and intrusive.

I also agree that a gaffer does not have to have a lightmeter, the DP really does.

Rather see the gaffer with some 1/2 spun in their pocket than a light meter on their belt.

I do appreciate HMI's checked beforehand with a colour meter at the rental house.

Nobody mentioned a razor sharp cutter for gels as an essential piece of kit.

• Premium Member
I really agree with Tony about people taking stills on set. I find this really annoying and intrusive.

I also agree that a gaffer does not have to have a lightmeter, the DP really does.

Rather see the gaffer with some 1/2 spun in their pocket than a light meter on their belt.

I do appreciate HMI's checked beforehand with a colour meter at the rental house.

Nobody mentioned a razor sharp cutter for gels as an essential piece of kit.

Guess its a Euro / American thing..... :rolleyes: