Kodak 5217 under X-Ray.

Hello.

I'll be leaving on Saturday for a four day trip to Paris and will be taking six rolls of Kodak Vision 200T in my carry-on. Will the X-Rays damage the film in any way? If so, what should I do?

All my Best,

Matthew.

Haven't you searched and already read the 100's of posts about x-ray damage? There's always a chance of fogging if it's x-rayed.

Since you'll be taking it as a carry on though, you should be able to hand the film to security for a quick hand inspection. It wasn't a big deal here in the US when I was travelling within the country, hopefully it's not a big deal for your trip across the channel.

Shooting some 35mm of Paris eh? Right on, what camera will you be using?

Pah! 35mm?! What tosh!! :P

I only use the 5 over the 7 in film codes because what I feel most comfortable with> It's still the same stuff.

I'll give it to Security to examine. Would there still be the same risk after the film has beex exposed?

• Premium Member
Would there still be the same risk after the film has beex exposed?

MORE!

It will be already partly exposed, and so will need less additional Photons to change what is delvelopable

(each grain needs 3 Photons to be exposed.)

I only use the 5 over the 7 in film codes because what I feel most comfortable with> It's still the same stuff.

No, it's not. 5 = 35, 7 = 16. You should get comfortable with using both correctly...even if Kodak's 5 & 7 system doesn't make any sense, ha ha

You'll save a lot of confusion at stores and labs by knowing them.

So, Matthew, if you're shooting 16mm or Super 8 we recommend you use 72xx film. And bring along a short strip of unprocessed or processed film to show the security guard so they see what you're talking about. If you've got a black bag available bring it along so they can open up a can and feel up your product. :lol: Also, see if you can have your film processed in Paris and shipped back to you so you don't have to fly it again. I believe Eclair Labs are in Paris.

Edited by Robert Hughes

No, it's not. 5 = 35, 7 = 16. You should get comfortable with using both correctly...even if Kodak's 5 & 7 system doesn't make any sense, ha ha

You'll save a lot of confusion at stores and labs by knowing them.

Oh. I didn't know that. :blink:

I don't have any loose film to show them. Just the cartridges themselves. I just hope that's enough.

Could you give me the street and web address of Eclair Labs?

Thanks. ;)

Edited by Matthew Buick

• Premium Member
Hello.

I'll be leaving on Saturday for a four day trip to Paris and will be taking six rolls of Kodak Vision 200T in my carry-on. Will the X-Rays damage the film in any way? If so, what should I do?

All my Best,

Matthew.

Yes, X-ray inspection always has the potential to fog the film, which can show up as a loss of contrast and color, and uneven blotches or streaks depending on the type and extent of exposure. Faster/older films are more prone to fogging.

NEVER put unprocessed film in CHECKED baggage, as the x-ray scanners used are very powerful, and concentrate their beams. For carry-on baggage, the x-ray intensity is usually less intense and more diffuse, but there is still a risk of fog buildup, especially if the security operator decides to take several different "views" of the suspicious package, or you go through multilple inspections. Lead bags offer little protection, as the operator will just take more views or turn up the power to see through the lead bag.

Given time and politeness, most security people will be willing to do a hand inspection, but you will need to provide a changing bag and a few test carts so they will know what they are feeling for in the changing bag. The USA TSA regulations specifically allow passengers to request hand inspection for any MOTION PICTURE film, regardless of speed.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ass...orial_1035.shtm

Specialty Film

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

* Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher

* Highly sensitive X-ray, medical or scientific films

* Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)

* Film that is or will be underexposed

* Film that you intend to 'push process'

* Sheet, large format and motion picture film

I have done this a couple of times and can give you practical advice.

Every time I ask for a hand search things get ugly at Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead (not tried at Luton or City)

I have taken print outs of the rules, my changing bag, called BAA management, called shift leaders. had heated 30 min debates with head of security, written letters etc - and basically under the threat of terrorism - they will force you to X-Ray it or throw it - I even tried the logic that cigarettes (Which BAA sell) kill 7013 people a day vs terrorism which kills less then 2 people per day - but that is when things got really ugly

Having said all that I have never had any problem with 5218 - once on a trip to Malta they rescanned it both sides about 4 times and I thought the footage was gone but it was 100% OK.

My advice would be take it out of your bag, to ask politley since it is Motion picture film if they can hand search it, then when they refuse to place it seperate to anything (in other words not in a bag full of lead) which means they run the XRay machine at normal strength - becuase they can turn up the power of these units to resolve through various types of material.

thanks

Rolfe