Laszlo Kovacs, ASC

I don't know if this has been posted yet. It's a sad day for the film industry. Our heart goes out for his family. R.I.P Mr. Kovacs.

http://www.ascmag.com/news/News_Articles/News_96.php

This is really sad news. I recall talking to Mr. Kovacs several years ago at the ASC Open House. I recall that he told me he would vote for Conrad Hall in the Best Cinematography category for the 2003 Academy Awards. That is the way Mr. Kovacs was. He was candid, direct, and honest and I never saw him act rude towards anyone, or fail to take the time to answer any questions an admiring fan might have.

I don't know why the LA Times hasn't picked this story up yet. How sad that we must read this in the New York Times and the Hollywood Reporter (before the hometown newspaper).

-Jerry Murrel

1st AC

Los Angeles

Edited by Jerry Murrel

The work of Mr. Kovacs has inspired me ever since I saw Easy Rider for the first time. As a student, passionate for Cinematography, Kovacs has inspired me ever since I got into photography, and I can't explain how sad I am for not getting the opportunity to meet him in person.

My thoughts go out to his wife and kids, family and friends, and may he rest in peace.

kovacs.jpg

1933 - 2007

• Premium Member

Link to NPR "All Things Considered" story today: http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/popup.php...r=&mtype=WM

I believe the documentary "Torn From the Flag" on the 1956 Hungarian Revolution with documentary film shot by Vilmos and Laszlo when they were film students in Budapest is scheduled for release next year.

I sat 15 feet away from him at a lecture/interview Vilmos Zsigmond was giving and was too nervous to ask to him about his technique on Easy Rider. Waking up to my dad telling me he'd passed away made me feel as if it couldnt have happend, not yet because I hadn't asked him what I had wanted to.

RIP Mr. Kovacs. Your torch has been passed to those you have inspired.

• Premium Member

RIP, a shame. He always seemed to be around at every event I have been to, he really made himself available to talk with, hell he could talk your ear off, which was amazing. He had so much great info and experience that he was very generous with. I have always made it a point to talk with him some when I saw him around, at this last Cinegear, I saw and him, but never got the chance to go over and talk. I am glad I did have many opportunities in the past, he will be missed.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
I have always made it a point to talk with him some when I saw him around, at this last Cinegear, I saw and him, but never got the chance to go over and talk.

Same here -- I arrived at the ASC booth at CineGear, saw Laszlo signing some books, didn't want to bother him, never got a chance to say hello. So the back of his head while he sat in a chair is my last memory of him.

Same here -- I arrived at the ASC booth at CineGear, saw Laszlo signing some books, didn't want to bother him, never got a chance to say hello. So the back of his head while he sat in a chair is my last memory of him.

I attended a lighting seminar with him several years ago and one of the things that I remember the most is that, there was always a sense of joy in what he was doing, he was truly having fun teaching us about lighting and camera movements. He would always come up wit great stories. He seemed like a truly happy man.

R.I.P. Mr Kovaks

Guest Tim Partridge

Mr. Kovacs was very generous with a book he contributed his memories to recently. In my minor role on that project I did not get to converse with him directly, but the word and feeling was very positive.

Interesting that Mr. Kovacs started off as one of the Hollywood "new cinema" hellraisers (without the formal studio "experience" that the old schoolers like Howie Schwartz and Ernest Lazlo would preach). However, in my lifetime at least, Mr. Kovacs has been associated with a high key, conservative style (and knack for old fashioned mainstream comedy). A true chameleon.

Anyone who has been to university in the last ten years will assure you that every friday/Saturday night WITHOUT FAIL, either GHOSTBUSTERS or EASY RIDER gets a group viewing. Not many DPs own that kind of association!

A great cinematographer who will be deeply missed.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Kovacs at Cinegear, and he also signed his book for me. Which I will now treasure the rest of my career.

Being from Australia and admiring his work sooooo much from a far, it was a fantastic experience to meet him and have a chat with him, And also have him wish me the best of luck for my career.

An absolute honor and a privlage. RIP

JP

Melbourne Australia