HD LENSES : Canon vs Zeiss ??

ANTOINE MANICHON

Check the recent archives as we have discussed this before. I consider the modern Canon HD glass to be very good and on par with the Zeiss.

I understand that a fairly techi test was made but that isn't in public domain, where Zeiss had slightly better contrast and Canon had better resolution in general across a number of parameters.

But pretty easy to test go for it!

Mike Brennan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

What kind of lens projector did they use for their test. I've done side by side tests with quite possibly every canon, fuji, and zeiss lens (except for the new long zoom) on a lens projector as well as a camera and have found that the zeiss digiprimes were superior in almost every aspect, especially even field illumination, chromatic abberations, and barrel distortion. But I might have a bit of a bias since I did work for BandPro while doing those tests, but Mitch you might have a bit of a bias as well since you do work for abel, so does that nullify our posts? ;)

But I might have a bit of a bias since I did work for BandPro while doing those tests, but Mitch you might have a bit of a bias as well since you do work for abel, so does that nullify our posts? ;)

Hey, I guess we can leave it at that, right? :lol:

The Zeiss DigiPrimes are gorgeous glass and I'll be the first to say it. But I'll aso state that the new Canon primes are amazing and don't get the notice they deserve in my book. Did you test the new EJs set or the old EJ series (the ones that had the funky backfocus adjustment)?

The new Canon set has six focal lengths to the old set's five. Also the new set has matched physical housings all with 80mm diameter fronts. In the old set the 5mm had a whopping 120mm front. At Abel I refer to the new lenses as the "Red Line Canons" because they have a red line ring near their front diameter. The new lenses are marked EJs as opposed to the old lenses EJ. Aside from these and other remarked upon differences, there is a major improvement in the coatings.