7218 Overexposure

Guest Allyn Laing

Guest Allyn Laing

Hello,

Probably already answered in other threads, and a common question, so if someone can point me to one that would be perfect but...

How far can you overexpose this negative before it looses its detail? I have heard of overexposure so that you can crush it later but I am wondering how far can you go with this particular method before it falls apart.

Allyn.

• Premium Member
Hello,

Probably already answered in other threads, and a common question, so if someone can point me to one that would be perfect but...

How far can you overexpose this negative before it looses its detail? I have heard of overexposure so that you can crush it later but I am wondering how far can you go with this particular method before it falls apart.

Allyn.

Well, things can be 5 and more stops hot before they lose all detail. Overexposure to tighten up grain usually isn't that much. I like 2/3 of a stop myself.

• Premium Member
Well, things can be 5 and more stops hot before they lose all detail. Overexposure to tighten up grain usually isn't that much. I like 2/3 of a stop myself.

Look at the sensitometric curve published by Kodak. As long as scene content is not falling on the flat "D-Max" of the curve, the film is still recording highlight "detail". And 7218 has a very long straight line portion, and gentle shoulder roll off, that can capture highlights that are overexposed by 4, 5, or more stops. Of course, the negative is becoming very dense, and will need extra light to print or transfer through the added density.

Guest Allyn Laing
Hello,

Allyn.

Yes this is what i'm talking about, do you have any examples of 2/3rds over - the final image? Simple I know

Guest Aaron Farrugia
Yes this is what i'm talking about, do you have any examples of 2/3rds over - the final image? Simple I know

hey allyn long time no see!!

hows things?

you should get your hands on that book i told you about last year 'reflections'

VERY GOOD! got some examples in there all the way up to 3 stops over and printed back down and up to 3 stops under then printed back up

its great to get a visual reference of the effects of over and under exposure...

as john said in this post check out the technical curves for the stock was lookin at 500t curves and according to it u can get pretty close to 6 stops over

Edited by Aaron Farrugia

Just because the negative can still get detail at x stops over doesn't mean you'll be able to make much use of it. In the darkroom they talk of the "blocking" of highlights, where the negative is so dense the only way to get print media to react properly is to dodge & burn by area. In previous years, one way to lessen the extremes of contrast was to make a contact-printed mask, to bipack with the original negative and effectively push the shadows closer to the highlights, but I don't know if anybody does that in MP film work anymore.

Any comments from the lab guys?